reasonable cost for apple ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynut

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
mid mich
Getting a new smoker going here and was wondering what I might
expect to pay for a half face cord of apple ?
rn

Yup. You very well might find some for free this time of the year as many are pruning now or have already done so. Winter also is a good time for cutting down old trees. Good luck.

I've got about 1 cord of apple wood sitting outside cut/split/stacked since 2009. It's obviously ready to burn but I hang on to it for some reason......

Apple works fine in the smoker. I like cooking over apple directly when grilling as well.

Don't count out cherry for smoking. Might be easier to resource if you aren't hell bent on apple. I use cherry exclusively when smoking kielbasa.

If you can't find a whole lot to start with I wouldn't worry about it. Don't be afraid to experiment. Hickory, cherry, fruit woods like apple, even beech are all things that folks use when smoking.

Also, it doesn't take a whole lot. When I'm doing firewood I save the stump sections or other gnarly stuff and use the chainsaw to cut it down to about 1.5 inch thick slices then I blow them apart w/ the hatchet. A five gallon bucket of those chips will do a lot of smoking.

pen

not locked in on apple........just have an orchard close by and he has 3 stacks sitting.
Bought a bag at BPshop and it was a bit pricey so figured i'd check this out.
Just can't seem to catch him outside. So you say cherry works well on the sausage eh?
I'll keep an eye out for some cherry as well. Got a friend that says pear is very good too.
He offered some up so I guess i'll be trying that soon. Was just wondering what would
be reasonable for that apple when I catch this fella outside ?
Sure smells good on the smoker......
rn

I use Apple & Cherry pretty much 50/50.Whenever I get the chance to cut or prune any local Apple trees I save everything 1" or bigger,cut it 3"-4" lengths on bandsaw & stockpile a couple big cardboard boxes full along 1 side of the shop.It generally runs $1-2/lb at retail either in local stores or internet/mail order.Black Cherry & Shagbark Hickory I can get that whenever I want,I still keep a small box of each in the shed thats ready to use on smoker or Weber grill.I've took a few hints & tried Mulberry,its very plentiful around here also & I normally cut some each year for fuel & smaller woodworking/wood turning projects.Its very similar flavor to Apple,nice & subtle.Great with pork & beef,helps extend the more valuable Apple supply.

I went to my local orchard a few weeks ago and they charged me $20 for all I could fit in the bed of my full size pick-up. Most were branches 4-6" thick and will make nice chunks for smoking.

That's an excellent deal! I'd be back there a few more times to get a cord of the stuff!

Matt

Split apple wood will be up there in price. I use a mix of apple and hickory when smoking. Charcoal to start with adding wood just before the meat goes on. Then nothing but wood from that point on. Once the meat gets wrap in tin foil I will use oak or another hardwood to finnish with.

I live in orchard country. Many years ago you use to be able to get all the apple wood you want for free from many of the orchardist as they were replacing their old variety apple trees with the new varieties. The old apple trees were huge and some required 16 ft ladders to pick. The new varieties of apple all grow on vines like grapes and the apple orchards look like vineyards, if you are tall enough you don't need a ladder at all.
Not much wood in those new trees.

Then
Big-apple-tree.jpg

And now
applevineyard.jpg

So I stopped in at the orchard. About half face cord for $30.
Thought that was pretty good. Had a couple of choices as he had
both apple & cherry. He had one pile that was mixed. Top 60%
was cherry then remainder apple. Sounded good to me.......
This should last quite a while. Going to have to find some sausage now.
That $20 truckload was an awsome find.
rn

I'm gettig hungry!

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.