Recent new fireplace smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mackconsult

Hearth Supporter
Our house is about 14 years old and has a cheapo builder fireplace installed. We have had a lot of fires in it since we bought the house new.

Recently when we have a fairly hot fire a strange odor occurs in our house. Reminds me of burning paint or something. Checked the chimney, roof, and the attic and don't see anything out of order.

Maybe the magnum ZC installation will come sooner than later.

I wouldn't burn in there again until I could lock down that odor...could be the start of some framing wood approaching kindling temperature.

There's a condition ...I forget the word, that combustibles like wood and carpets constantly exposed to a heat source will over time reach a state of a reduced kindling temperature...and suddenly catch fire because of the proximity exposure to an adjacent heat source. I don't want to alarm you but manufactured cheepo fire places have been know to start house fires because framing lumber was a little too close or not used according to code.

Might be "pyrolysis"

Mackconsult: I would hate to say it but most builders know very little about and don't much care about properly installing ZC fireplaces. You really should find a way to look inside the chase and get a good look at everything.

cmonSTART said:
Might be "pyrolysis"

Mackconsult: I would hate to say it but most builders know very little about and don't much care about properly installing ZC fireplaces. You really should find a way to look inside the chase and get a good look at everything.

Okay no more fires till I get a new one in :eek:(

So I purchased a 1/4" x 18" x 20" steel plate the size of the broken brick and put it in the back of the fireplace. We had a fire last night, and even through a piece of sap saturated pine to get it going really hot. We still had a little smell but nothing like what we were seeing before.

Could a chimney clean be my answer? I should probably do a chimney clean before replacing the fireplace and chimney I assume to?

Be careful. Here is what I found ripping out my cheap builder box fireplace. Yep, that's right, the cardboard box and packing material from some of the chimney supplies. Says Heatilator right on the side of the box.

IMG_3879.gif

Doing the replacement install myself has left me with a great feeling of comfort about clearances and a job done right where you can't see it (thank is tremendous part to this web site).

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.