Recent wood score - BIG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latitude45

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2009
petoskey, mi
www.flickr.com
6 Siberian elm
1 Cherry
1 White Cedar
1 Small Birch
1 apple

About 4 full Cords if you count the smalls and uglys..

anyone have any experience burning lots of Siberian elm? whats the BTUs on these anyways?

its amazing to see the difference in how fast the splits dry and change color. first stack on the right cut/split yesterday, second stack was cut/split two weeks ago.

image album
http://imgur.com/a/uUAsG

I haven't burnt any yet but i have about 7 cord c/s/s for this year and next. It does go from water pouring out of the ends to light as a feather.

Latitude45, I like your stacks and your stove! You got any complaints with it? I switched off a defiant encore and really enjoy the IR. Love that restart time in the am.

maxed_out said:
Latitude45, I like your stacks and your stove! You got any complaints with it? I switched off a defiant encore and really enjoy the IR. Love that restart time in the am.

Love the stove! Don't use the top load tends to smoke. But that may have something to do with my 14ft stack. Ash lip could be bigger but I have a tub waiting for when I do spill ash. Will need to replace the baffle and some fire brick next season. Heats my 2400sqft just fine!

[quote author="latitude45" date="1317014274

anyone have any experience burning lots of Siberian elm? whats the BTUs on these anyways?

its amazing to see the difference in how fast the splits dry and change color. first stack on the right cut/split yesterday, second stack was cut/split two weeks ago.
[/quote]

I got a p/u load of mostly dead in early June 2010 off a local CL scrounge.Split quite easily compared to American/White Elm,close to Slippery/Red Elm.Dried very fast,started burning it early November,it lasted until just after Thanksgiving when it finally turned real cold & I could burn my usual oak/hickory.

If I see some thats easy to get again sometime,I'll grab it.

I split a cord and a half last October and burned some of the cutoffs a couple weeks ago. As fast as it dries even when its not standing dead, I will grab it again too.

Attachments

• 101910 Elm score2.jpg
    101910 Elm score2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 472
latitude45 said:
6 Siberian elm
1 Cherry
1 White Cedar
1 Small Birch
1 apple

About 4 full Cords if you count the smalls and uglys..

image album
http://imgur.com/a/uUAsG

Good score. Nice to hear something good come out of Irene. Does Siberian elm split as loverly as English elm?

no Irene wood here in MI. :( I wish.. these trees are considered invasive and were planted yard trees. The property they were on is now a nature preserve.

Nice pics and good woodpile! Feels great to amass so many btu's..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.