Recommendation for fireplace fence.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
I have a Jotul 550 fireplace insert and a 21 month old grandson. I don't burn the stove when he is around. He obeys well, knows the concept of "hot", and would not touch a toaster oven, the top of a stove, or a barbecue grill. He also knows that a fireplace is hot when it is "on", although he has never experienced that situation. However, when he is tired, he is amiable and gets goofy. He tends to walk into furniture and fall over a lot, so I am leery of having a fire in the fireplace for fear he would fall onto the stove.

I think we need some kind of fence to keep him safe. Any suggestions?

When my guys were young I used a three section fireplace fence/screen. I put two eyes in the mortar on either side of the insert and two hooks on either side of the fence/screen. Once I had the fence/screen in place I spot welded the hinges so it could not fold or collapse if they fell into it. The hooks & eyes made it easily removable to load the stove but held it firmly in place when necessary. It did restrict the heat output a little but an extra table fan took care of that.

The fence/screen got a little hot to the touch but not hot enough to burn. I could hold my hand on it with no problem. If they did touch it they would have gotten the message but I don't remember it ever happening.

KaptJaq

We have the Kidco Hearth gate as well.

We used this one for kids and dogs

. Gate.jpeg

+1 on the KidCo gate - note that at least in my area they seem to come up on craigslist very regularly so you may want to check there to save a few $'s and/or get a couple extra sections if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.