Recommendations for 25 x 30 cabin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dave360up said:
You may not need to go oversize on the stove. Seeing as your username is "Stoichiometry" I'm sue you will always be burning at the perfect air/fuel ratio for maximum efficiency! :)

@Dave -- you can bet I'm concerned that the 'limiting reagent' be the wood in the box! LOL ...

Cheers,
M

stoichiometry said:
dave360up said:
You may not need to go oversize on the stove. Seeing as your username is "Stoichiometry" I'm sue you will always be burning at the perfect air/fuel ratio for maximum efficiency! :)

@Dave -- you can bet I'm concerned that the 'limiting reagent' be the wood in the box! LOL ...

Cheers,
M
Just be sure you never forget your catalyst for said reaction!

stoichiometry said:
pile o’ wood said:
Be sure to post some pics when its all done to, we love pics! Especially from cabins ;-)

BTW upstate NYer here too (well grew up there atleast). My folks have a cabin in South Colton. They rarely visit in winter though, and dont stay for long, so they went for the easy quick heat option of a propane fireplace when the temps are cool. Have many friends on the river too... wish I still lived up there beautiful area.

Pile O wood,

I know colton very well. THere is a fantastic book store there [if you like cabins and used books you'd love this place!!]. I'll definitely post some pics ... it's an empty cabin right now, w/ no electrons nor running water and it even came with an outhouse!! LOL.

Cheers,
M

Thats sorta how my folks cabin started as well. They bought from someone who hadnt finished it in the Diamond Sportsman club. They finished it off pretty nice I think... no power or runnign water either, and fully equipped with external outhouse lol. They have a few propane lights inside and a propane gas range and oven. There is is basic electrical things they installed to, and have a generator in the outhouse when they want to run it. So kinda best of both worlds.

We keep a few small kero lamps for use when there isn't any power. If you do the same, there are two types of lamp oil: kero and parafin based. When it is 10 degrees out, one of them is a solid block of wax. It's guaranteed that you will discover this event some time when you open the cabin in the middle of winter and you would like a bit of light/heat from the dang things.

Matt

I think the Combi is a nice stove for what you are doing: Go skiing with it closed up and burning efficiently, come back and open it to enjoy the flames in the evening. But #4 may be too big for your space ( someone here earlier made a good point about bigger stoves being slower to heat up). A Combi #1 may be better. There's a nice looking one for sale on eBay now (11/15/10), from southern NH.

HickoryMan,

I bought a brand new, unopened england stoveworks 50NC ... from a guy that bought it but decided it was too much work to install! I got it for about half price. Given my Scandinavian heritage, I'd almost prefer the combi ... but from the sounds of it, I'll be happy with an englander.

-M

Hickoryman said:
I think the Combi is a nice stove for what you are doing: Go skiing with it closed up and burning efficiently, come back and open it to enjoy the flames in the evening. But #4 may be too big for your space ( someone here earlier made a good point about bigger stoves being slower to heat up). A Combi #1 may be better. There's a nice looking one for sale on eBay now (11/15/10), from southern NH.

Portable Kero heaters scare the bejeezuz out of me. One almost killed my nieghbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.