Record Storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
I was born in 1982. That winter Illinois was only supposed to get a couple inches of snow one day, well, 12 hours later they got 13" plus. Right now the news is predicting a couple inches per hour of snow AND -9* overnight while predicting 12" and more than likely 15"+ along interstate corridors.

The best part...is yesterday my boss tried to fire everyone up for work tomorrow, while the high for tomorrow is -2*...in a shop with absolutely no heat. He said in more words if you won't drive in this and work in no heat...you're pretty much a wimp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check OSHA Regulations regarding minimum work temperatures in an occupied building in your state

Our Hi is saying -11::F (-24::C) for tomorrow. Not the coldest I've worked in, but the coldest since moving from Ontario.
The WINDCHILL however, is forecast in the -40 to -50 range which is crazy for this part of the world.
That said, What you have to do makes all the difference. I've spent many a day on contaminated sites supervising drill rigs, taking samples, logging soils, making notes, marking out drill sites… basically just standing there with only my brain really working & wearing thin gloves to keep dexterity. Cold as heck, while the guys actually doing hard work are sweating. Standing still or doing intricate work in very cold weather is down-right miserable.

I will have to be outside some and on elevated platforms to check on some vessels & equipment at a remediation site. My operator booked the day off a while back so it'll just be me. I plan to be out as little as possible with no exposed skin. That is if I can even get to work tomorrow. About 9-10" on the ground now & still coming down. 30mph winds will have that blowing all over the place and I do not want to get stuck in a drift on the highway in those temps...

It'd be a different story if this pace would make the right adjustments to these temps. Our WC is supposed to be in the -30's range as well with 30mph sustained winds. My boss will sit in his warm office for 10 hours while we freeze our @$$es off...only to come out to bird dog us to keep us working.

It makes for counter productive management.

Status
Not open for further replies.