Reducing Weight and Moving a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
The Stove ,A 3 year old Lopi Republic
First question , is the stated weight of 430lbs include fire brick ,and baffle brick.?
Next , Do I need to remove baffle brick while moving ,will it get damaged if I don't ?

I'm thinkin , remove door , fire brick, legs ,baffle brick, and I think, I have to remove air tubes to get baffle brick out , yes/no ??

I have a trailer with ramp and a good dolly, straps etc.

Any other tips ideas for moving ,transporting, safely with out damage ??

I have a trailer with ramp and a good dolly, straps etc.

Strip it, get three other guys, and carry it if you don't have to go down a flight of stairs. The worst part is squeezing two guys through the doorway at once....

Strip it, get three other guys, and carry it if you don't have to go down a flight of stairs. The worst part is squeezing two guys through the doorway at once....
Getting it in the house shouldn't be to bad, stove room has a 36" door, out the back to the deck

Exactly, strip it down as much as you can and then collect as many 'soft' hands as you can to make the work easier. The dolly would be nice on a long run on a good surface. Just be careful on the stairs with so many bodies and a heavy stove.

Nah . . . that's not so hard.

Step 1: Strip down to skivvies.
Step 2: Slather baby oil all over the guys moving the stove.
Step 3: Be sure to shoot a video and put it on YouTube.

:)

Yanking the bricks and door should take around a hundred pounds off of the stove. Not familiar with the particular stove but you should be able to take the baffle bricks out through the flue collar without removing the tubes.

The Bricks do come out without removing the tubes. It's kind of a puzzle, once you get one out, then it's pretty easy.

Hire someone.:p
I'd think the dolly setup would work. Remove door and bricks and have at it.
Video posted here would also help us critique your method.;)
Oh, and keep the baby oil off your hands...makes 'em too slippery.

The Bricks do come out without removing the tubes. It's kind of a puzzle, once you get one out, then it's pretty easy.
Thanks, I see it in the manual ,Da

When U get a new stove are the legs attached ?

My stove came on a pallet and I rented an appliance dolly for it--the extra height and strapping system came in handy. Once inside, I put it on one of those cheapo square wooden furniture dollies and could move easily. Four guys moved it from the dolly to my raised hearth. Good luck!

My stove came on a pallet and I rented an appliance dolly for it--the extra height and strapping system came in handy. Once inside, I put it on one of those cheapo square wooden furniture dollies and could move easily. Four guys moved it from the dolly to my raised hearth. Good luck!
I was thinking maybe putting a small pallet, or plywood under it, but if, I take the legs off the dolly will work to.
My dolly, the handle also extends up about 18" from what U see in pic

Attachments

• IMG_20130516_200846.jpg
    IMG_20130516_200846.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20130516_203029.jpg
    IMG_20130516_203029.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 147
No. There are a few leg options, so the legs are shipped separately.

I am a little concerned about moving it around with the legs on , I believe they are brittle cast iron

I am a little concerned about moving it around with the legs on , I believe they are brittle cast iron

Only if you paid extra for the cast legs, otherwise they are sculptured steel. Put it on furniture sliders and it will go anywhere but stairs!

Only if you paid extra for the cast legs, otherwise they are sculptured steel. Put it on furniture sliders and it will go anywhere but stairs!
Well , not sure ,don't have the pics ,and he took the CL add off
The legs don't come on it, and then You have to get the legs on it once it's in place. ;)
Is a Used stove ,so legs are on it :)

Then sliders are you friend! Make sure the legs are tight and your good to go, even with the cast legs.
That was a good idea, already had some extra sliders , took out all the brick and some heavy metal, put sliders under ,MAN is a lot lighter now :)

IMG_20130820_184448.jpg

Good, I'm glad it went well! Now, do you remember how all those parts go back in? ;lol

Trailer bed is 1" higher than back deck :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.