Regency Hi300 vs Enviro Boston 1700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MondoCondo

Nov 13, 2018
Granby, CT
My wife and I are interested in a Wood Fire Insert. We did some online research and I think we have it narrowed down to two inserts, the Regency Hi300 and the Enviro Boston 1700. Can someone tell me what's the difference between them? Do you prefer one over the other? Ease of install/warranty/etc?

FYI: We also briefly looked at and considered the Vermont Castings Merrimack and the Quadra-Fire 4100i, but I am pretty sure we're over them unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Any and all info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Steve

They are both good inserts with nice castings and excellent finish. The Enviro has a bit of an advantage with a deeper firebox that allows both N/S and E/W loading. The Hampton is more of an E/W loader.

The Alderlea T5 is a great stove, but at 2.0 cu ft a bit smaller than either of the other stoves. It does have a nice square firebox that can load N/S. There is also the PE Neo 2.5 which is the same size as the Enviro, but with a shallower firebox like the Hampton and with a flush, more modern look.

Unless the design has been updated since I bought mine in 2010, the Hampton HI 300 is a square firebox and can be loaded easily either NS or EW. I've tried both and use NS loading almost exclusively.

The last I checked the firebox measured about 14-15" deep by 18-20" wide with this firebrick pattern. Is the wood cut a little shorter to burn N/S?
Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 11.31.46 PM.png

Last edited:
So the Enviro Boston 1700 clearly has a bigger or more so deeper fire box and is better for N/S loading. Any pictures and or measurements of its firebox?

The last I checked the firebox measured about 14-15" deep by 18-20" wide with this firebrick pattern. Is the wood cut a little shorter to burn N/S?
View attachment 233220
I don't mean to belabor the point-just trying to give OP accurate info. I checked the Hampton/Regency web site. The HI-300 insert has a 2.3 cu.ft. firebox, and accepts 18" logs loaded either NS or EW. It is 18" deep, not 14".

Begreen, perhaps you are looking at the h300 free standing stove? That one appears to be an EW loader.

Nope, that is from the HI 300 manual. It just says accepts 18" logs on the website. I just checked the Regency i2400 on which the HI300 is based for comparison. It has the same firebrick pattern.

You're the one that is feeding the insert. Is there a gap or ledge in front of the firebrick that allows a longer log to be put in beyond the firebrick? I seem to recall a gap of 2"? in front of the firebrick which allowed maybe 16" splits, but if I'm in error, my apology. @velvetfoot @cableman can you clarify?

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 9.45.52 AM.png

Last edited:
Greetings. Long time no type.
I have an HI300, and load it exclusively N/S with 16" splits.
The stove top is currently at 420F, and I'm not sticking a ruler in there. :)

Greetings. Long time no type.
I have an HI300, and load it exclusively N/S with 16" splits.
The stove top is currently at 420F, and I'm not sticking a ruler in there. :)
Thanks velvetfoot. I think it was your install I was recalling. Can you fit in an 18" N/S or is 16" the safe limit?

Thanks velvetfoot. I think it was your install I was recalling. Can you fit in an 18" N/S or is 16" the safe limit?
The F2400 uses the same firebrick pattern. There is a wide ledge at the front bottom and sides of the firebox, and a narrower ledge at the rear bottom and sides of the firebox. These seem to provide structural support and pathways for combustion air. End result is a floor which is 18.25" square. So, technically the stove will accept 18" splits NS or EW. However, the tabs which hold the side firebricks in place would make it impossible to fully load the stove with 18" splits EW, and loading 18" splits NS means splits would be within 1/4" of the window at best. So yes the stove will take 18" in either direction, and yes 16" is the practical limit

I have the Boston 1700 insert along with a few others on the forum. I can’t give a comparison to the other stoves you’re looking at but everyone seems happy with the Boston.

Pros:

It’s a pretty stove. Seems natural as an insert. For me a lot of inserts look like boring appliances. This looks like it’s meant to be there.

Good burn times for a tube stove. I can go 10-12 hours and still have the stove warm enough to start the next load on hot coals.

Easy control of the air (push in / pull out).

Quiet fan. I usually run it on low and can barely hear it.

Still puts out heat with the fan off as long as you have a blocking plate in the old damper.

Cons:

Enviro doesn’t have any direct to customer support. It’s all through the dealers. Any question I’ve had though has been answered by someone here e.g. what color paint to buy for touch ups.

The surround panel is a little clumsy to get on / off. You’ll only need to service something behind there every few years if at all. Don’t let this discourage you though.

No great place to put a thermometer. I used an IR gun which worked well. Now I have an e-thermometer / alarm with a probe in between the liner and collar and that’s working well. I wouldn’t bother with a magnetic coil one.

All in all, very happy with it. Good luck.

Reactions: begreen
What Blaine said. I can load the occasional longer split (N/S), but I cut my own from log lengths and the QC is excellent, lol.

The F2400 uses the same firebrick pattern. There is a wide ledge at the front bottom and sides of the firebox, and a narrower ledge at the rear bottom and sides of the firebox. These seem to provide structural support and pathways for combustion air. End result is a floor which is 18.25" square. So, technically the stove will accept 18" splits NS or EW. However, the tabs which hold the side firebricks in place would make it impossible to fully load the stove with 18" splits EW, and loading 18" splits NS means splits would be within 1/4" of the window at best. So yes the stove will take 18" in either direction, and yes 16" is the practical limit
Thanks for that clarification Blaine. I really like the i2400/HI300 stove, but my best memory (which can be dubious at times) was that the Regency/Hampton firebox was slightly smaller than the Kodiak/Boston 1700, making 16" the ideal length wood. Regardless, the OP would do well with either choice.

Hope all owners have posted reviews of their stoves in the Reviews section. That really helps future buyers.

So the Enviro Boston 1700 clearly has a bigger or more so deeper fire box and is better for N/S loading. Any pictures and or measurements of its firebox?

If my memory serves me correct, the Boston firebox is 20" to the glass, and so I usually cut splits 18" to give some extra room for the air to move around. I haven't loaded E/W, but I believe it is 18" between the firebricks.