Alternative to an Enviro Boston/ Kodiak 1700 Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eric Minnis

Dec 25, 2020
NC
In reading some of the threads on here I was excited to think that I have found the insert that is perfect for our house. Unfortunately, the insert appears to have been discontinued.
The Enviro Boston or Kodiak 1700 would have been a perfect match for our house. Some of the features that made it work are:
1) Non-catalytic
2) Protrudes onto the hearth a bit for radiant heat
3) The door orientation with the handle on the right side
4) Firebox size and shape
5) BTU output

So....... if anyone knows of a similar stove that checks all the boxes I would really like to know what it is. Even better, if someone has a Kodiak or Boston 1700 laying around new in the box, name your price ;-)

Thank you!
Eric

36" w 29" tall 24" deep. Tapers in the back to about 28"
We have about 1800 sq ft on one floor that we are trying to heat with it. Located in central NC. Pretty mild winters.

thanks
and why handle on the right? do you have wood storage built into the hearth or something on that side?
could you post a picture?

Last edited:
IMG_6087.jpg

Handle on the right is just personal preference. Wood crib will be on the right. Not an absolute deal breaker but preferred for sure.

off hand, if you're open to the alternative handle orientation, I'd look at the Hampton Hi2450
Similar styling and firebox.
The Pacific Energy Altderlea is another option with that look but I think it's closer to 2cuft

gorgeous fireplace btw

Reactions: Eric Minnis
Wondering if the PE T5 Alderlea insert would heat 1800 sq ft? 16' Cathedral ceiling in the den and 10' ceilings everywhere else. Very open floor plan. We do have a big ass fan in the den to help with circulation.
If that thing was just a little bigger!

Wondering if the PE T5 Alderlea insert would heat 1800 sq ft? 16' Cathedral ceiling in the den and 10' ceilings everywhere else. Very open floor plan. We do have a big ass fan in the den to help with circulation.
If that thing was just a little bigger!
how well insulated is the home? is the chimney down the center of the house? any chance you can give us a crude layout? what style home?
a guess would be 1800sqft with cathedral ceilings is prob pushing it but if you get us some more details the pros here will chime in with more informed perspectives than mine

It is in the center of the house. Just built this house and moved in June. New building codes here result in a tight house. We extra care to insulate it well. We do have large windows which may not help but they are all higher end.
FWIW- we do not like it terribly hot in the house. We keep the heat set to 65 at night for sleeping. 66-67 in the day. Would not mind if it were warmer in the den.

Will work on a drawing.

if it's new construction and really tight and you're not asking it to get the house 72 all day long then you may be in luck
The other question is how will it be used? It sounds like you're planning to burn it as a main heat source? If not, then Id think hard on what your minimum threshold of acceptability is. For example, when I was shopping for my stove I was really enamored with the idea of heating the majority of the house with it - i wasn't actually planning to use it as a main heat source but loved the option if power went out. After really thinking about it I determined that the stove really was NEEDED to heat the main living space and, having 2 zones, I was ok if I couldn't get the heat upstairs. I also realized that power going out is gonna cut the insert fan so it's not gonna heat nearly as well either way. My priority was heating the main living area, the ambiance, and to some degree the hobby

I think we are in the same headspace as you are on the use. Our basement has a Yotul F-45 freestanding stove in just over 900 sq ft. There is also one bedroom and my office down there so it would likely be our retreat in the event of a power outage.

Here is the floor plan for the main floor of the house. Appreciate the feedback!
1611849835259.png

Last edited by a moderator:
so much for "crude" lol
So, other than the study and the master suite there are no interior walls on the main floor?
what's the footprint on the 2nd level? (mostly wondering if the chimney becomes an exterior chimney at the 2nd floor)

Hahaha- found that shortly after I started drawing things out. The chimney remains in the center of the house all the way up through the unfinished top floor.
The only walls are around the study and MBR. All else is open.

So far - The PE Alderlea T5 Insert and the Osburn Matrix 2700 are the 2 that are really standing out as possibilities.

I spoke with Osburn yesterday and got an actual human on the line in short order which was nice. They offer a kit to make it protrude into the room by either 2" or 4". I have the hearth space to do either and would likely do that to get a bit more radiant heat without the fan. With that said- I see several negative reviews about the Osburn fans being noisy. I also think that they are 2 speed, not variable. It has the bigger firebox at 2.5 cu ft. It used a special fire brick that has to be ordered through them and is $65 per side (4 sides). Probably not a big deal.

The PE Alderlea is the better looking stove to us both. I like that it protrudes onto the hearth and the N/S loading is a big plus. The only concern is the 2.1 cu ft firebox. If it were a little bigger it would be a no brainer. From a customer service perspective, PE did not have any tech support to chat with yesterday and the 3 dealers I called had very little experience with them. It could be that they are simply not a common stove in my region. In either case, Osburn tech support was awesome and available.

Neither stove qualifies for the 2021 tax credit which is a hefty 30% rebate on stove cost and installation cost. Not a deal breaker but it does have me looking hard at the list of stoves that qualify. The non-cats can't seem to get past the 75% HHV cutoff.

It's hard to replace the Boston, that was an exceptionally good looking insert. In that size range there are Osburn. PE (Neo 2.5) and Regency inserts, but it looks like there is also room for a 3 cu ft insert so they bear looking at too. Osburn, PE, Regency, Quadrafire all make big models.

I ended up buying the Osburn 2700 Matrix insert this morning. Honestly- Jack at Osburn deserves a raise. Their customer service is what made the sale. It arrives in a week or two and I plan to do the install myself. Ordered the liner kit as well.
The insert will live in our den and aesthetics were a major player in the decision. We have no modifications needed to the mantle or hearth to run it. The ability to load 16" splits N/S or 20" EW will be nice. I think the 2.5 cu ft. firebox will be matched well to our house too.
Pretty excited to get it. Our little Jotul F-45 has been slaving away for days in the basement. Amazing how much enjoyment I have gotten out of heating with wood. Very similar to the joy of eating things we grow.
Appreciate all the help people offered. I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I install it.

Block off plate

Reactions: Eric Minnis