Regency U31-LP pilot burning too strong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeDC

Jan 3, 2022
Montreal
Gas fireplace model info: Regency WH-U (3021) / U31-LP
Installation done in 1999

Issue: Pilot started to burn stronger and stronger over the past few years. This causes the wood ceramic log to burn up and make a mess in the oven.

-I cleaned the pilot assembly and try to adjust the gas/air mix; but cannot bring the flame back down to a modest blue flame (see photos).

Anyone know if this is a hardware issue or something else?

Thanks in advance.

-Joe

pilot assembly.jpg pilot flame.jpg

Gas fireplace model info: Regency WH-U (3021) / U31-LP
Installation done in 1999

Issue: Pilot started to burn stronger and stronger over the past few years. This causes the wood ceramic log to burn up and make a mess in the oven.

-I cleaned the pilot assembly and try to adjust the gas/air mix; but cannot bring the flame back down to a modest blue flame (see photos).

Anyone know if this is a hardware issue or something else?

Thanks in advance.

-Joe

View attachment 289035 View attachment 289036
The pilot flame is not getting enough air.
I would take compressed air, and blow out any debris in the pilot Hood. That might do the trick, however I wouldn't be surprised if you have to also clean the pilot orifice. That is not easy to do. You have to remove the gas line fitting off the bottom of the pilot assembly. That fitting is usually very tight, and sometimes results in Breaking the line.
Maybe just install a whole new pilot assembly...

Reactions: JoeDC
I bought some compressed air and sprayed it just a bit at on the outlet of the pilot assembly and also on the outlet from the gas fitting (the output of the outlet where the burner input sits). Result is a perfect pilot, see photo. I had seen this mentioned on a youtube video as well.

Also, the pilot now lit on the 1st spark after just a few seconds of pressing in the PILOT button. It used to take at least 15 minutes of holding the button, which would also cause a gas smell. Now, no more gas smell and very quick/easy pilot startup.

Thank you!

The pilot flame is not getting enough air.
I would take compressed air, and blow out any debris in the pilot Hood. That might do the trick, however I wouldn't be surprised if you have to also clean the pilot orifice. That is not easy to do. You have to remove the gas line fitting off the bottom of the pilot assembly. That fitting is usually very tight, and sometimes results in Breaking the line.
Maybe just install a whole new pilot assembly...

g.jpg