Registration of wood stoves.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
The Golden Valley Electric Association will be asked to burn No. 1 fuel oil on bad air days, while older-model wood stoves, coal-fired heaters and outdoor hydronic heaters will have until December 2024 to be removed and destroyed.
Key term "older model". Sounds like EPA stuff is unaffected.

Reactions: Socratic Monologue

Socratic Monologue

Burning Hunk
Dec 2, 2009
WI
Key term "older model". Sounds like EPA stuff is unaffected.
True enough technically, but keep in mind that the quote you are responding to also dates back to May 2019, and is conditional speculation that I've found no evidence has become law. Another quote from that same dated AP release:

"Air pollution enforcement will focus on voluntary compliance, said conservation commissioner Jason Brune"

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
Ah, found it. A US News piece from May 2019 that includes the following: "The rules still require the signature of Republican Lt. Gov. Kevin Meyer in order to become law."

I find no legislation supporting this, but perhaps I don't know where to look. Anyone?

This is all I can find, I don't know whether the Governor signed it into law or not, and I have not read the actual wording of the legislation. The article is vague as to what older stoves are, I'm assuming that it would mean anything older that does not meet the new 2020 emission standards.

Socratic Monologue

Burning Hunk
Dec 2, 2009
WI
OK. You were quoting taking points on an eight month old draft bill -- which is apparently now dead --as if it were law, and using it to argue a point about governmental coercion, when in fact what seems to be the case is that folks in that borough are being offered funding for cost saving, environmentally beneficial, and public health improving upgrades to their home heating system of choice.

Whether intended or not, that is very misleading, and even worse some people are happy to be mislead if it feeds into their preconceptions about how the world works. Glad we're more clear about things now.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
OK. You were quoting taking points on an eight month old draft bill -- which is apparently now dead --as if it were law, and using it to argue a point about governmental coercion, when in fact what seems to be the case is that folks in that borough are being offered funding for cost saving, environmentally beneficial, and public health improving upgrades to their home heating system of choice.

Whether intended or not, that is very misleading, and even worse some people are happy to be mislead if it feeds into their preconceptions about how the world works. Glad we're more clear about things now.
It was not my intention to be misleading, only that the legislation was there or had been there for the Governor to sign. All it takes is a new administration, and it could be right back on the table. I guess my take away from this whole thing, should be concerning to all of us who burn wood for heat. Things can start small and locally and can expand over time. I wasn't trying to be an alarmist.

Reactions: Socratic Monologue

thrifty

Apr 13, 2019
Minneapolis
If you live in Alaska, you now have to register your wood stove when you purchase it. Any thoughts?
In my area we have occasional "air quality advisories" due to temperature inversions. If wood burners were registered the health dept. could send out emails such as---If you have an alternative heating source please discontinue wood burning until the advisory has expired--- The way it is now I light my insert, turn on the news and then find out it wasn't the best idea. This can happen 2 or 3 times in a winter or some years not at all . In areas with more frequent inversions this could be a possible use for registration.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
In my area we have occasional "air quality advisories" due to temperature inversions. If wood burners were registered the health dept. could send out emails such as---If you have an alternative heating source please discontinue wood burning until the advisory has expired--- The way it is now I light my insert, turn on the news and then find out it wasn't the best idea. This can happen 2 or 3 times in a winter or some years not at all . In areas with more frequent inversions this could be a possible use for registration.
Once you register it, they can tax it.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
Once you register it, they can tax it.
They already taxed it when you bought it. There's tax on the fuel, the splitter, the saw, and many other parts in this process. If you buy the wood, then that is taxed too. The man is already getting paid, don't worry. They have much more to worry about than wood stoves, which are a tiny minority of this country.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
They already taxed it when you bought it. There's tax on the fuel, the splitter, the saw, and many other parts in this process. If you buy the wood, then that is taxed too. The man is already getting paid, don't worry. They have much more to worry about than wood stoves, which are a tiny minority of this country.
Not when I buy it in NH or stove shop took my cash. My spliter is electric so the tax man only gets a few shillings for the gas in the saw. LOL.

However he did get his blood on my wages.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
Bought my saw through the farm, no tax, bought my splitter used, no tax, and when was the last time you paid tax to a private individual selling firewood, it's called CASH. Don't think they won't look at wood stoves in the future, like a gas guzzler tax on big trucks. If they want to discourage an activity, they tax it, I don't smoke and never have, but look at cigarettes. I was behind a guy the other day that dropped $150 on a cartons of ciggys.

CaptSpiff

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2014
Long Island, NY
You missed the "potential biggie" here in the land of big Govt: property tax.
A central air system install, where there was none, will cost about $10-12K to the contractor. The town requires a permit for that and happily adds that to the home's assessed valuation. Here on LI,NY that's good for about $100-150 per year on your home tax bill, forever.
Install a new swimming pool with concrete sitting area? That adds between $800-1000 per year to your annual Property Tax bill, forever.

So it is not beyond reason to assume the "registration" will finally catch those dastardly homeowners who install a wood-stove for cash and try to avoid the Town Tax Man Person.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
You missed the "potential biggie" here in the land of big Govt: property tax.
A central air system install, where there was none, will cost about $10-12K to the contractor. The town requires a permit for that and happily adds that to the home's assessed valuation. Here on LI,NY that's good for about $100-150 per year on your home tax bill, forever.
Install a new swimming pool with concrete sitting area? That adds between $800-1000 per year to your annual Property Tax bill, forever.

So it is not beyond reason to assume the "registration" will finally catch those dastardly homeowners who install a wood-stove for cash and try to avoid the Town Tax Man Person.
There's not a lot to be gained in a home value from wood burning appliances. In some cases they could devalue the house.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
There's not a lot to be gained in a home value from wood burning appliances. In some cases they could devalue the house.
Around here they use any excuse to raise your property taxes. Just because a house has a wood burning appliance doesn't mean you have to use it.