Reloading Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The air control slider mechanism is under the doghouse at the bottom front of the stove. Our F400 ran best when I stopped using the ashpan and let that fill up with ash. The burns were longer and more even-tempered.
Thanks, I only use the ashtray to dump some ash, for convenience and I make sure the grate is tightly closed, with no small pieces between it, leaving a bed of ash for added security. This, only thanks to this forum, you experts should unite opinions and create " perfect stove "

LOL, perfection is absolute, and none of us are gods. There really isn't a perfect stove other than the one that is perfect for your needs.

And trying them all to find that one would be an expensive hobby!
I have tried quite a few. But I am in a unique position to find good deals on stoves and to be able to sell them easily after using them 5 years or so.

I went through 5 stoves in about 8 yrs in this house. Folks used to kid me about it in the early days of Hearth.com.

Reactions: Ashful
HI, a little ot, but it's worth it at this point!
You men who have tried many stoves, with the same power and efficiency, and with fire lit continuously, a convective stove will do better in adjoining rooms, compared to that of the stove or is it approximately the same as a radiant stove? Thank you

I went thru 5 stoves in 3 years (2012 - 2015), but they were all multiples of only two models. ;lol

But the first three were purely radiant, and the last two are very convective, so I'll take a stab at the question: A convective stove can affect a change in air temperature in an adjacent room more quickly, as it is heating the air directly, and that air can move to the adjacent room. The radiant stove must radiate their energy to objects in their line of site, which then bring the air temperature up to parity, so their effect will be felt much more slowly in an adjacent room.

However, the opposite is true in the room you're in. You will feel searing radiation if you're in the stove's line of site, much more quickly if you're facing a radiant surface of the stove. The good news here is that even most "convective" stoves have a fully-radiant front window, achieving the best of both worlds.

Also, since you're in italy, where there's a lot of masonry homes... if you have any exposed masonry, just forget a radiant stove. Been there, done that!

Reactions: Prometeo
I went thru 5 stoves in 3 years (2012 - 2015), but they were all multiples of only two models. ;lol

But the first three were purely radiant, and the last two are very convective, so I'll take a stab at the question: A convective stove can affect a change in air temperature in an adjacent room more quickly, as it is heating the air directly, and that air can move to the adjacent room. The radiant stove must radiate their energy to objects in their line of site, which then bring the air temperature up to parity, so their effect will be felt much more slowly in an adjacent room.

However, the opposite is true in the room you're in. You will feel searing radiation if you're in the stove's line of site, much more quickly if you're facing a radiant surface of the stove. The good news here is that even most "convective" stoves have a fully-radiant front window, achieving the best of both worlds.

Also, since you're in italy, where there's a lot of masonry homes... if you have any exposed masonry, just forget a radiant stove. Been there, done that!
Hi, these informations are gold 👍
Yes, the house is in masonry, 70's. Next months I will have to buy a stove for the central apartment, designed and refurbished to apply stove, in the center, i will open a new thread for advice of which convective between regency, blaze king, PE and True north, these are only available here.
Thank you very much !

If the masonry is exposed, then you'll definitely want the most convective stove you can find (eg. BK 30, PE T5, Jotul F45). If the masonry is covered and insulated, then it doesn't matter much, and a radiant stove might work just fine.

If the masonry is exposed, then you'll definitely want the most convective stove you can find (eg. BK 30, PE T5, Jotul F45). If the masonry is covered and insulated, then it doesn't matter much, and a radiant stove might work just fine.
Very interesting, I thought the F45 was radiant, now I see vented side panels. The house is quite protected to the north, but it is not insulated, I only have an air chamber between the external walls so I prefer a product that is as convective as possible, as you suggest I will post the floor plan of the apartment in another thread. Thanks a lot

You may want to double-check me on the F45, actually. I remember seeing them in the Jotul showroom, right when they first came out nearly 10 years ago. But there were two models released together (F40 and F45?), and I wasn't really shopping for one at the time, so I may be mis-remembering the details. I mostly remember that it differed from their traditional cemented cast iron models (400, 500, 600), being a welded steel box with some sort of exterior cladding.

The BK30's (eg. Ashford 30) are a steel box, completely covered on all sides with a convective jacket (Ashford variant has cast iron sides, top, door frame, ash pan assembly below, sheet metal plenums on back), so they radiate almost nothing other than the front window glass. This has been a game-changer for heating my home, as I have them stuffed back into masonry fireplaces on exterior walls, and can't really afford to radiate anything into the stone without losing it outside.

I believe the PE T5 has very similar construction to the Ashford 30, in this regard, based on descriptions here from others who have owned them (eg. @begreen). I've always looked at the T5 and Ashford 30 as pretty similar stoves, in non-cat and cat flavors, respectively.

Some of the earliest EPA cast iron jacketed stoves were by Napoleon with their 1100c, 1400c, 1600c models. In 2005 Quadrafire came out with the Cumberland Gap which was a great design and a good looker. I think PE was next in 2008 with the Alderlea series. These stoves had a twist with their novel and very useful swing-out trivet tops. Following that, around 2013, there were several castiron jacketed stoves introduced from Blaze King (Ashford), Quadrafire (Explorer series), & Jotul (F45, F50 & F55). It's a winning combo with the mass of the castiron acting as a buffer and thermal flywheel.

Reactions: Ashful and Prometeo
Thank you all for valuable informations 👍 i created a new thread with specific details.
Thread name is:

"welcome suggestions for wood stove"​