Reloading Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Secondary burn stoves are more like traditional stoves from what I am reading on here concerning your cat stoves. Only diff is that we achieve a more efficient burn of the gasses than an older pre EPA stove....at least my build does. It goes into secondary burn within 15 minutes of start up.
I heat with wood in my basement and duct to the entire house. I doubt there is a cat unit that could maintain an avg. home in this type of set up when the need for BTUs is at a max like now with -5 and -40 windchill. ..... At least not without losing long burn bragging rights.

Educate me. Does any manufacturer offer a wood stove with a central ducted system in the catalytic type stove?
No I don't think there are any catalytic hot air furnaces. But many of us easily heat our whole homes with cat stoves. The one I am currently running is a bit undersized for my home with it's current insulation and air sealing. So when temps drop especially with wind it needs some help. But I could always go bigger. And I was off today so I was also able to push it more. I didn't need to stick to my normal 8hour burn cycles for when it's cold. So it didn't need much of any help.

And yes as long as the setup is right and you have dry wood 15 mins untill you are cruising is easily done with just about any modern stove. Mine is usually 10 mins or less

The Red stone ones are pretty good if you can get them near you.. They are sold by tractor supply.. I tried them just to see how they perform.
Thank you. I do have a TS near me. I'll look into them. Tried something from Menards last year. Brick expanded but never seemed to give off heat.

@begreen knows the name of NIELS distributor. They may have a dealer near you...
Thanks. Per the NIELS website, only midwest dealer is Warming Trends, Inc. in Onalaska, WI., about 225 miles from me.

I doubt there is a cat unit that could maintain an avg. home in this type of set up when the need for BTUs is at a max like now with -5 and -40 windchill. ..... At least not without losing long burn bragging rights.
Of course they can. Why would you think otherwise? When it gets cold, turn it up for max output, and enjoy the heat. When this rare cold spell is over, turn it back down and resume bragging rights for max burn time, if that's what you want. Not rocket science.

You seem to be missing the fundamental property that @bholler has been preaching for years: It's not the stove, it's your house!

You're putting 500k to 1M BTU into a box, and releasing it over time. Adjust the time to suit the needs of the home. Cat stoves aren't magic, they just allow a wider range of burn rates.

Its -8 out right now, and my little junk cast iron is warming the whole house just fine. Its not a big house per se, but not a trailer. It was built a LONG time ago, no insulation, and single pane windows, lol......its like swiss cheese but Im warm. Burn times are about an hour or 2, but I dont load her up, just a few pieces.

I have NO idea about a cat stove, but mine is a simple wood burner. You put wood it it, then light her up. Nothing more or less. And I have frost on the inside of the windows , lol...must be a PA thing? Its warm in here, but very cold outside. It was -5 here last night and 5 today.

-8F is effing cold for PA! You up in Scranton?

Start keeping your eye out for a good used modern stove, Bill! You'll earn back its price in wood savings, before too long, and won't have to short load every 2 hours!

Thanks for the post. Im in central PA, the mountains, lol....its 12 right now, must be a heat wave, going to be in the 40s here in a few days, but right now, it blows! We had 50 MPH winds yesterday , wind chill was -38...damn.

@BillBurns .. You have a good opportunity to learn what your heat needs are .. Also how you want to burn.. Keep your eye out for a used modern stove.. or in spring early summer grab up a higher quality but basic stove in the 1000 to 1500 price range that will last you.. You will see the return on the money you lay out.. If wood burning is your thing now.. Start processing your own wood and work on wood storage

I really dont know what it means, but it says its 2020 EPA certified or whatever....it has two tubes in the back, and 2 with holes up on the roof of it with holes. I assume this is for secondary burn? Im new to all of this, and I have to do what I have to do to make it thru winter. Its 11 outside right now, but 70 in here. I will be on the lookout for a newer one when / if I get the money, lol....Im very budget minded, have to be.

I really dont know what it means, but it says its 2020 EPA certified or whatever....it has two tubes in the back, and 2 with holes up on the roof of it with holes. I assume this is for secondary burn? Im new to all of this, and I have to do what I have to do to make it thru winter. Its 11 outside right now, but 70 in here. I will be on the lookout for a newer one when / if I get the money, lol....Im very budget minded, have to be.
what stove are you referring to in this post?

Last edited:
Thanks bholler. I just researched the Vogelsang stove which resembles that old timey looking USSCO model. and discovered the same thing.
Still a complete POS the stove just leaks so much that it burns hot enough to run clean

• Haha
Reactions: Ashful
I agree, its not the best, but for the money, its great. It was 70 in here during the cold snap, free wood, and I unload the coals into a dutch oven, set it out to cool down, then back to the fire. It must be nice to own a new "better" stove, but thats just life. Im happy, warm, and alive. Another thing keeping me kicking is a few 100 beers!

Last edited:
I agree, its not the best, but for the money, its great. It was 70 in here during the cold snap, free wood, and I unload the coals into a dutch oven, set it out to cool down, then back to the fire. It must be nice to own a new "better" stove, but thats just life. Im happy, warm, and alive.
Why unload the coals? Btw I have never bought a new stove . All of mine have been used

Its a small fire box, and it gets really deep with coals.....Im burning pine and oak, but mostly pine lately. I take the cools out in a dutch oven, fill it with snow, put the lid on, and its good to go. Makes room for more wood.....its a small stove as you know.

Open up the air control a little bit and the coals will burn down much quicker. If more heat is needed, put two skinny pine splits on top of the hot coals.

Reactions: Ashful and BKVP
No offence but I think Bill Burns is his own expert of HIS stove.
I believe a man in his own home is the king of whatever he chooses to do.
If you can't rely on your own survival instincts over a regulated outside influence such as we have today then heaven help us all.
Man and fire existed way before any insurance Co or other outside controllers.
They are both a mere pimple on a man's butt.

If you can't rely on your own survival instincts over a regulated outside influence such as we have today then heaven help us all.

The whole object of this site is for people to ask questions and have people help them.. He asked a question.. he received an answer.. You should probably let bill speak for himself.. First time burners and new stove owners are by no way.. EXPERTS...

Reactions: bigealta
Ive gotten a lot of info from this site. I did ask, so you all answered one way or the other. Im on a cast iron forum site, so I kinda know what the deal is. Everyone has an opinion, and I like to hear them all. I might think Im a jack of all trades, but I am new at this, so its great to have this site. Im no expert.....yet!! lol

Well yes he knows his setup better than us. But many of us have been burning wood a long time. Many of us have been helping people do it more safely and efficiently for many years.

No matter how much we think we know on a subject we can always learn from others experience. No one has said much of anything about insurance or regulations in this thread. We don't have enough info to comment in that respect. But there is no denying that things are safer and more efficient with our current regulations than they were before

Now back to reloading times. I loaded the stove yesterday around 900 am. Got home today about 545 pm and the stove top was at 250 shoveled out ash and threw wood in. It was up to temp and heating the house in 15 mins

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks bholler. I just researched the Vogelsang stove which resembles that old timey looking USSCO model. and discovered the same thing.
Also vogelzang is just one of the many names ussco sells products under. It's the same stove

Last edited:
Reactions: Vg3200p
Yes, they do a lot of name-switching among their brands. Their Ashley insert used to be sold under the Vogelzang brand.