Reloading Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I heated my insulated garage for several years with an older version of that stove that I suspect was actually made in USA. Worked great.
I found it easy to control the fire in fact easier than my EPA stove of today. It certainly was a simple stove although a smoker when I choked it down. Never felt it would burn down my garage due to it's controllable nature.
You probably had one of the more original stoves that are much higher quality castings and fitment. The cheap us stove company ones really are very bad

I could buy a car for the price of some stoves and the install. I like the looks of mine, it fits the house great, and I used about 1/16th of a tank, thats it. Gotta start somewhere. I just cant see coughing up that kind of money. Thats my personal opinion

I could buy a car for the price of some stoves and the install. I like the looks of mine, it fits the house great, and I used about 1/16th of a tank, thats it. Gotta start somewhere. I just cant see coughing up that kind of money. Thats my personal opinion
So buy a used stove. If the setup is safe for your current stove it should be for a better one

I had a cabinet stove in my shop years ago. Bought it used and it worked good for what it was. Passed it along to someone else when I was through with it. Not much to look at but every hardware store around here sold them and plenty had them in their houses.

Reactions: BillBurns
I had a cabinet stove in my shop years ago. Bought it used and it worked good for what it was. Passed it along to someone else when I was through with it. Not much to look at but every hardware store around here sold them and plenty had them in their houses.

Yeah the old circulators weren't bad stoves at all for the price

I'm with ya op. I'm q budget minded guy. My next stove will also be a us stove co. Just a bigger model. Hate that they are made in China but can't argue the price.

I'm with ya op. I'm q budget minded guy. My next stove will also be a us stove co. Just a bigger model. Hate that they are made in China but can't argue the price.
Get a drolet. Close to the same price with better quality and Canadian made

I only reload one or two pieces at a time, once it is up to running temps. I just dont feel safe loading it to the gills. Its more trouble to load so often, but I can control the fire and burn rate with my damper.
Guessing you mean key damper as well as the stoves front damper. If not adding one will make it more controllable. These straight through box stoves can get pretty hot. The originals usually had a draw slide stove damper that was not very tight. Not sure what’s on yours. In my seat of the pants days my first stove was one of this design. It could be easy to get the pipe glowing. If you aren’t in a position or don’t have the desire to get a more efficient and better built stove you are right not to feed this stove to the gills. One nice thing about a lot pre type stoves is that you can burn one or two sticks, just run it hot enough to avoid creosote trouble. Of course I have to echo the innumerable calls to burn dry wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillBurns
No matter when you take the plunge, you'll look back and marvel at what a deal you got. My stove is 3500 now, but 7 years ago it was like 2200 and I got a federal tax rebate that got it down to 1600. There's a rebate now as well, but it doesn't apply to all stoves..

As more and more manufacturing comes back from China to North America, we're going to see more wage inflation. That's going to push prices up across the board. There aren't enough people to do the work now. The local Harbor Freight is paying over $16/hr to stock shelves. I know a guy who makes automotive parts. His labor is up over 30%. Stove prices have, and will continue to follow suit.

Its not a burn barrel, but its just a small cook stove/wood burner. Is it the safest out there? NO. Does it work for me, YES. I just like the fact that its basically a cast iron box, with no fancy stuff. I load wood, burn it, it heats my house, and I clean the flue often. Would I like a new enameled stove? YEP. But I make due with what I have, and Im happily warm.
Caution is the right way to run one of these. They don't belong in a house IMO due to the poor air control and low quality castings.

VG box.jpg

Reactions: bholler
I agree with the caution being really important. Im usually right by the stove, its where my computer is. I never burn overnight, and never if im leaving the house. I will go to the store with coals glowing, but no fire. I honestly thank you all for the info. This is like my first car.....cheap and rusty but it worked, lol.....I will upgrade when the money isnt as hard to come by.

On another note, I am not afraid of fire, I respect it to the max. Its like electricty, you dont know it its live wire or not without testing it. This sounds stupid, but Ive been around fire in same shape or form my entire life. I love fire, it can be calming to some....and I respect fire for what it is.

On another note, I am not afraid of fire, I respect it to the max. Its like electricty, you dont know it its live wire or not without testing it. This sounds stupid, but Ive been around fire in same shape or form my entire life. I love fire, it can be calming to some....and I respect fire for what it is.
I can understand this, in spite of losing a brother to fire. Hopefully, this deep respect means that the stove is safely and properly installed with all clearances and installation requirements met or exceeded.

I have the regency HI500. I load it to capacity at 7:00, 15:00 and 23:00. I noticed when it is colder out (around 25 degrees) I can go longer. Sometimes I don't load in the morning until 11:00 and then I just throw in a few logs to get me to 15:00. I can get about 6 splits into this unit. I can probably go 12 hours rather than 8, but I'd have precious little coals left that might require a little help, like a small firestarter. It's my first year, so I am learning.

Im completely afraid of fire in my home.. which is why.. I clean my nstove pipe twice a year, burn wood thats 18% and below, have a quality stove and followed all clearances.. When your inviting fire into your place of residence.. you should be concerned.. Just because you have been around it.. doesn't mean you any good at it..

Reactions: bholler
I agree....I just meant that I have some knowledge about fires, what they need, what they dont need. On another note....just out of wanting to know some info, why is it safe to burn an open firepalce, but not one with doors , or something that closes? I mean, back in the old times, everyone had a fireplace, open to the room. Out of the need for heat and cooking I assume? I just LOVE history!

why is it safe to burn an open firepalce, but not one with doors , or something that closes?
Never heard this. I grew up in several houses with multiple open fireplaces in each, so that was basically all my woodburning knowledge, until I got my first woodstove as an adult. At least two (maybe three?) of our fireplaces had glass doors, one in the 1970's even had some sort of powered heatilator on it, and they were all safe to burn. The most dangerous were actually any that were completely open, as they could throw sparks across the room, onto furniture, rugs, etc. Not easy to find a fire screen for an 8 foot or 12 foot wide fireplace, so some of them were burned wide open or with a small free-standing screen in front of the active fire only.

I agree....I just meant that I have some knowledge about fires, what they need, what they dont need. On another note....just out of wanting to know some info, why is it safe to burn an open firepalce, but not one with doors , or something that closes? I mean, back in the old times, everyone had a fireplace, open to the room. Out of the need for heat and cooking I assume? I just LOVE history!
No one said it is unsafe to burn in something with doors. Or that it's safe to burn an open fireplace. Either can be very safe if they are built installed and operated correctly. The problem is your stove is extremely poor quality. I have seen many of them crack very badly simply because of the poor quality castings. We also know nothing about the install and it's safety. But the fact that you imply it would cost allot to install a new stove tells me your setup may be questionable.

No one said it is unsafe to burn in something with doors. Or that it's safe to burn an open fireplace. Either can be very safe if they are built installed and operated correctly. The problem is your stove is extremely poor quality. I have seen many of them crack very badly simply because of the poor quality castings. We also know nothing about the install and it's safety. But the fact that you imply it would cost allot to install a new stove tells me your setup may be questionable.

its ok.. hes been around fire all his life..

Your influence and command on this site is well known...... surely you took pics of these many cracked stoves to share and educate us so the danger that is preached here is also backed up? Please post them up.

Your influence and command on this site is well known...... surely you took pics of these many cracked stoves to share and educate us so the danger that is preached here is also backed up? Please post them up.
No I don't have pictures. I never felt the need to document the fact that a cheap Chinese stove was poor quality. It's very well know by pretty much anyone who has touched one. Many of them were even sold with disclaimers they weren't for use in houses.

Reactions: 1kzwoman and mpaul