Removing baffeles from your stove and burning it!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason721

Nov 4, 2017
southern indiana
I'm in my local tractor supply store the other day and see there wood stoves on display. .I can't help myself and seem to always stop and look at a stove. A gentleman walks up to me while I'm looking one of them over and starts a conversation about the stove I was looking at and tells me he has one and they are junk and to get his to burn he took all the baffeles out and the fiber board!! I didn't ask him any questions.

but I'm thinking YIKES. .That has to be dangerous and wonder as I'm leaving the store why would someone do such a thing other than trying to burn very green wood.

I'm in my local tractor supply store the other day and see there wood stoves on display. .I can't help myself and seem to always stop and look at a stove. A gentleman walks up to me while I'm looking one of them over and starts a conversation about the stove I was looking at and tells me he has one and they are junk and to get his to burn he took all the baffeles out and the fiber board!! I didn't ask him any questions.

but I'm thinking YIKES. .That has to be dangerous and wonder as I'm leaving the store why would someone do such a thing other than trying to burn very green wood.
Sounds about right. Trying to burn wet wood. Ive found it best to ignore unsolicited opinions and advice from strangers in stores for just such reasons.

Last edited:
I love talking to armchair engineers that venture outside into the public.

Armchair engineers..I like that. Going to have to remember that one

Couldn't figure out how to run it right, doesn't ask for help, then turns it into a smoke dragon (sigh).

That's like the fellow I saw at the local gas pumps the other day. Telling a few people quite loudly that woodstoves are on their way out. They are being banned, he says. Very soon, he says. It was kind of funny when I told him I was a sweep and hadn't heard of any such imminent ban.

People get goofy ideas in their heads. Pulling baffles/boards out is one of them.

The funny thing is, there are people reading your comment, scratching their heads and wondering what's wrong with that! :D
On Petty-coat Junction they soaked to wood for the boiler fire on the train in fuel oil to make the train run faster.

That's the best sales pitch I have ever heard.

The funny thing is, there are people reading your comment, scratching their heads and wondering what's wrong with that! :D

I'm betting that there aren't that many folks here thinking this way . . . not if they've been hanging out here for a bit reading the various threads.