repair clay flue before installing liner ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KrisP

Aug 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
Planning on installing a wood burning insert in exsisting fireplace, the top of the flue at the chimney is spalling and was wondering if needed and options of repairing? the wood burning insert will use a stainless liner and its cap will be sealed to the top of the existing clay flue
micdEfB.png NOSZQyB.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to repair the liner just cut it down flush. But the crown does need repaired. Well replaced. And make sure you get an insulated liner

Great thank you , I wasn’t sure how important the condition of the existing flue tile was since the new liner will be taking over it’s job. Wether I do the install myself or have it done I still like to know have a good understanding of it all

Great thank you , I wasn’t sure how important the condition of the existing flue tile was since the new liner will be taking over it’s job. Wether I do the install myself or have it done I still like to know have a good understanding of it all
The condition of that clay liner has absolutely no significance after a new liner is installed. It simply becomes part of the masonry structure at that point.

Reactions: webby3650
i know a poured crown is preferred, but would stainless crown over the existing masonry be acceptable ?
Yes it is not how I like to do it but it works fine

Planning on installing a wood burning insert in exsisting fireplace, the top of the flue at the chimney is spalling and was wondering if needed and options of repairing? the wood burning insert will use a stainless liner and its cap will be sealed to the top of the existing clay flue
View attachment 246296 View attachment 246297
That's an 8x8 flue liner. You have precious little chance of getting an insulated liner down the inside of that unless you're venting a pellet stove insert.