Replace wood stove with oil or gas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Clydo

May 26, 2018
Idaho
First post for me. Buying a house in North Idaho and it has a wood stove in the living room as backup for the electric baseboard. I hope to replace it with an oil stove that looks good, puts out plenty of heat to help lower the electric usage, can get fresh air from underneath and vent through the existing stove pipe.
My crawlspace has good venting and should be adequate to draw fresh air from. I will put a tank on a stand behind the garage and plumb the supply line through the crawlspace as well.
Does this sound like a good plan?
Does this type of oil stove exist?
Can a Napoleon stove be hooked up like this?
Should I be looking at propane instead?
Can propane be vented out the stack and still be efficient? Direct vent is not an option as the wall behind the stove is the attached garage.

2 Main concerns: No woodpile in the living room and I would like to use the vent and not have a hole patched in the ceiling.
Here's a picture.

Thanks for any tips.
Clyde
Liv Room stove.jpg

Can't help you with the Oil Stove, as I know NOTHING about them.
As far as gas goes, you will NOT get a very big unit BTU wise.
Probably 40K BTU MAX & that's INPUT. Output will be about 30K BTU.
I would assume your stove is a MINIMUM of 50K BTU, & if that keeps
you (& your WIFE) warm enough, then a 40K unit will mean you'll hafta
close some doors to adjacent rooms or wear more clothing.
Maybe someone else here has Oil Stove experience...

Thanks for the reply.
The house is a 1450 sq ft ranch, so 40k might work with a bedroom door or 2 closed and a blower fan.
Is there a unit that can vent through the current stack? I'd like direct vent, but the garage is behind the wall behind the stove.