Replace wood stove with pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pa corn at $130 a ton.dont want Coal dust in my house.

I asked a local stove retailer about stoves that can burn multi fuel, he told my I wouldn't want one of them because the cost of corn is going up because of ethanol productions. Does the ton of corn burn at the same rate as pellets? If so then that would make corn (where you are at least) about half of what pellets would cost me.

Pa corn at $130 a ton.dont want Coal dust in my house.
Spoken like someone who knows nothing about coal and how to handle it. I get more pellet dust in my house now than I ever got from coal AND I sift it!

You brought up a few points which were making me hesitant about a wood burning stove. Mainly the bugs and the chimney fire. I keep switching back and forth in my mind between wood and pellets... and now coal...
You can get creosote from pellets as well as wood if you burn your stove improperly, like many this year appear to be doing. Guess what, you can't get a chimney fire from coal! No creosote!

Yea I live right in a very coal heavy area. Multiple people in my family have coal stoves and I actually used to enjoy helping my uncle load up their coal hopper when I was younger. My only problem with coal is that it seems to make the basement dusty and dirty, but like you said that may just be a symptom of not handling it properly I don't know.

Thanks for the input! I am going to take a look at coal also.
Coal stoves have improved tremendously in function, style, efficiency, and safety since you helped load that hopper.

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about coal and how to handle it. I get more pellet dust in my house now than I ever got from coal AND I sift it!
My old stove burned coal and wood so after near 20 years of buring with that stove I think I might have a little experience.pellet dust is a lot cleaner than coal dust just my opinion and it also sounds like you need to move to Pa so you can be happy with all the coal you push.mines are shutting down here left and right so I'm not sure purchasing a long term coal stove is the way to go?

I asked a local stove retailer about stoves that can burn multi fuel, he told my I wouldn't want one of them because the cost of corn is going up because of ethanol productions. Does the ton of corn burn at the same rate as pellets? If so then that would make corn (where you are at least) about half of what pellets would cost me.
That's the price of corn here at the local feed mill but I know several farmers and can get it much cheaper from them especially corn left over from last year wich is much drier.

I just had a wood stove installed a couple month's ago and I was going back and fourth between the two. I wish I would have went with a pellet stove but the wife wanted the wood stove. With a new born on the way and trying to keep the house at a certain temp it's definitely a challenge. I have the stove set up in my living room and it does great, keeps the downstairs around 80. But getting up in the middle on the night and feeding the stove, coming home to a cold house it comes to be a pita sometimes. I have a all electric house so we installed it to cut down on our electric bill.

My old stove burned coal and wood so after near 20 years of buring with that stove I think I might have a little experience.pellet dust is a lot cleaner than coal dust just my opinion and it also sounds like you need to move to Pa so you can be happy with all the coal you push.mines are shutting down here left and right so I'm not sure purchasing a long term coal stove is the way to go?
My home IS Reading, Pa where I grew up and lived until entering the service in 65, so I know coal, having heated with it for many years. AND I'd be back there in an instant if I could and they cleared out the idiots running the state. You know you're getting a 9.8 cent increase in sales tax on gasoline in three days, right?
If you had a 'coal/wood' stove then you didn't have EITHER one as each requires a different draft flow. You had a mixed breed that couldn't do either well. Also, with a 20 year old stove, you didn't have what's available today. You are doing yourself a disservice by not researching the new ones, especially stokers, and talking to people who have them. Most of your dust probably came from mishandling the ashes. The coal itself should be delivered wet so there's no dust and then you should have been dampening it from time to time. But what do I know. You know what you're doing.
There will be plenty of anthracite for many years to come. Don't let the @#$%^ scare you. Sense will one day return to D.C.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase of a pellet stove will and have looked in to coal stoves. Coal is messy stored inside or out maybe I didn't have a good way to store and keep things the cleanest but in the basement coal dust was all over storing it out side your mess was just moved and it was tracked in the house cleaning up after coal was more of a pain than what I got from it just my opinion

I'm very satisfied with my purchase of a pellet stove will and have looked in to coal stoves. Coal is messy stored inside or out maybe I didn't have a good way to store and keep things the cleanest but in the basement coal dust was all over storing it out side your mess was just moved and it was tracked in the house cleaning up after coal was more of a pain than what I got from it just my opinion
Interesting. Where you getting it in bulk or bags? Bags are VERY dirty since you can't wet it down. I built a bin in the side of my garage that held 3 tons with several sliding doors at the bottom. I burned it in a pot belly in the garage and in a Franco Belge gravity feed in the house. NEVER had coal dust on the garage floor, cars, or in the house. I have two pellet stoves now, sift the pellets in the garage and carry them in in buckets and my wife (same one!) bitches about the dust. She never once did about coal dust. What size coal did you burn? Stove or nut, probably. I burned pea.

Just plain stupid!

No, just adding another point in favour of burning wood pellets. After all this is the pellet section of Hearth.com;hm

Oh, and you don't have anthracite coal over there in Muslim-land.

From North Sea oil we make petroleum coke... almost the same carbon percentage ( over 90% carbon ) as anthracite coal.
Before installing our present Whitfield pellet stove, we burned a lot a petroleum coke in an old wood/coal stove. Actually this coal stove was the original that my great grandfather installed, when our house was built in 1898. The stove is put away in a store room, but still fully functional. If the Whitfield breaks down permanently, I can easily reinstall the old coal stove.
It was one of my friends, who is a geologist within sedimentary geology that told me many years ago that all fossile fuels are more or less radioactive, so this is a scientific fact.
Now, as for the term "Muslim-land"... I don't think we are allowed to discuss this any further in the open here at Hearth.com, but I am willing to have a private conversation on this topic. So, if you're interested, tjnamtiw, please send me a private message, so we can exchange our opinions on this matter::P

Give me a f$%^ break! Some people believe ANYTHING written by a tree-hugging environmentalist! Just plain stupid! Quick, run inside and put your lead suit on! I never learned that one in my nuclear engineering courses!!! Heck, we should be running our subs on coal ash all these years! OMG. GIVE ME STRENGTH TO ENDURE THE STUPIDITY GROWING EXPONENTIALLY!

Oh, and you don't have anthracite coal over there in Muslim-land.
Re your earlier post - Isn't Wolfie gonna repeal that nasty old tax? After all, it was a big point in his campaign. . . .

Growing up we had a wood stove and we burned coal. I had a really nice wood stove and always kept the chimney clean and use to split my own wood and kept it dry. I had this wood stove for maybe 6 or 7 years and this thing took off on me, the fire went out of control and the stove was glowing bright red.

I got that very out luckily with no damage to my house. I sold that wood stove and bought a pellet stove and that was 15 years ago. The wood stove was too much work. I was tired of fiddling with dampers and on windy days having the puffs of smoke going into the house. Love my pellet stoves.

Re your earlier post - Isn't Wolfie gonna repeal that nasty old tax? After all, it was a big point in his campaign. . . .
Expecting a politician to honor what he promised in an election??? ;lol I just saw it on the news Sunday.

Reactions: bags
I just had a wood stove installed a couple month's ago and I was going back and fourth between the two. I wish I would have went with a pellet stove but the wife wanted the wood stove. With a new born on the way and trying to keep the house at a certain temp it's definitely a challenge. I have the stove set up in my living room and it does great, keeps the downstairs around 80. But getting up in the middle on the night and feeding the stove, coming home to a cold house it comes to be a pita sometimes. I have a all electric house so we installed it to cut down on our electric bill.

Welcome! I really appreciate your honesty and that is what this forum is or should be based upon. My motto is wood = work. I have been a wood burner for years and wood is a great way to heat so I am not against it a all. I will always have a way to heat with wood even if it is only a back up.

That said, I do fire out on some of these that mislead people that harp on wood being as easy as pellets. Not sure what they are smoking but there truly is not a comparison with everything considered. There are some Blaze Kings and catalytic stoves that do get long burn times but these stated 30 hour plus burn times are questionable IMO. I can also go two days on a bag of pellets. Sure can in an unrealistic 48 hours of heating when it is 60 out and a low in the 50's. That's when they are getting their long burn times on low burn too. Realistic FACTS need to be stated so people like yourself can make good decisions.

But realistically when the temps drop it is 2 bags in 24 hours and if super cold then that number can grow. Not a lot but I also state the facts and I do not fluff them and mislead people interested in pellet and / or wood stoves. The BK's are not getting 30 - 50 burn times then either.

BTW, Congrats on the new one arriving soon! You can always switch to a pellet stove also. You could keep your wood stove and find another place to install a pellet stove. That will also give you more options. I can relate to wood being a PITA as many others here too. I did it for a long time and have three kids.

If it's any consolation the PITA wood IS way better than high dollar beat down electric heat bills. You could set your stat for the electric to kick on at 60 or whatever works for you and it will buy you some time to fire the stove back up. Ladies don't like to be cold. Pregnant ladies......... Ya better keep that house warm bro!;)

Growing up we had a wood stove and we burned coal. I had a really nice wood stove and always kept the chimney clean and use to split my own wood and kept it dry. I had this wood stove for maybe 6 or 7 years and this thing took off on me, the fire went out of control and the stove was glowing bright red.

I got that very out luckily with no damage to my house. I sold that wood stove and bought a pellet stove and that was 15 years ago. The wood stove was too much work. I was tired of fiddling with dampers and on windy days having the puffs of smoke going into the house. Love my pellet stoves.
Glad your saved your home. Wood stoves have came a long way since 15 years ago. I love my pellet stove, but get frustrated that everyone compares how much work there 20-30 year old wood stove was compared to there 2014 pellet stove! I have a new truck, I also have an 81 Bronco, guess what the Bronco needs more maintenance and it's also harder on fuel! Go figure.

I love my pellet stove, but get frustrated that everyone compares how much work there 20-30 year old wood stove was compared to there 2014 pellet stove! I have a new truck, I also have an 81 Bronco, guess what the Bronco needs more maintenance and it's also harder on fuel! Go figure.
If you read what was stated the guy said he just had it installed a couple of month's ago and his wife wanted a wood fire instead of pellet. Seems they were looking at new as they bought and had a wood stove installed. How in the hell does that equate to a 20- 30 year old stove? To me that says it is not decades old so you are WRONG. Go ahead with your critical BS but deal with the facts. Why aren't you heating with wood again? That's what I thought. What's your excuse?

Thought you were blocking me anyway......... More BS! What a cynical joke. GO FIGURE.....

Last edited:
I had the Pellet stove ,It worked But I do not like to clean it all the time .My coal stove only needs cleaned out about every 6 months. The heat is more like the wood stove, and I only burn 20lbs a day and keep house at 75 all the time. I wish I would have done this 20 years ago .The coal is almost dust free compared to the pellet stove. This is a leisure line pioneer. 90.000 btu. ITs a heating machine.

Attachments

• P1010907.JPG
    P1010907.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: Jason845845
I had the Pellet stove ,It worked But I do not like to clean it all the time .My coal stove only needs cleaned out about every 6 months. The heat is more like the wood stove, and I only burn 20lbs a day and keep house at 75 all the time. I wish I would have done this 20 years ago .The coal is almost dust free compared to the pellet stove. This is a leisure line pioneer. 90.000 btu. ITs a heating machine.
Nice. Can you run it without power?

Reactions: Tony garofalo
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, Tony! Beautiful stove and beautiful installation!

NO, it like a Pellet stove needs Power. But a I have a 4400 watt. Generator ready to go. The stove only needs 1.5 Amps of power to Rock.
And if power is a worry, some models don't need any power but not the stokers.

Yellow Bullet? My sub's faster than your Rambler? ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.