• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steven214

Oct 31, 2023
Ohio
First post here, getting ready to start burning wood and I noticed my baffle is starting to look rough. I have an Earthstove 2800HT and found they stopped making the baffle in 2016 and can’t find a replacement one. The only information I’ve found is that’s it’s 3/8’s thick. My question is what’s the best type of metal to try to use to replace it, I want to say the original one is cast but I’m honestly not sure. The stove is otherwise in great condition and works well, so I’d like to fix this piece instead of buying a newer stove. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

IMG_1174.jpeg IMG_1175.jpeg

If the part is no longer obtainable a substitute may need to be fabricated. How bad is it? Can you post a picture?

Call around for old stock:
518-623-4349 - Cozy's Lennox parts store
If none is found then one could be cut and formed from 3/8" steel, or with a much thinner sheet of 16 ga stainless and and maybe adding a top insulation blanket of 1/2" kaowood.

I’ll take a picture later tonight, it’s not terrible but there is a small area by the door that sagged in the middle and is deteriorating/flaking apart on the top but I use the stove as primary heat so I would like everything to be right in it. I called cozy’s earlier and they aren’t able to get it.

It's good to stay on top of this. A little warp on the front is ok. Check the air tubes behind the area of the warpage to make sure that they are in good shape and not splitting or opening up. Putting a 1/2" insulation blanket on top might help to extend the baffle's life.

It’s only really warped towards the front, the other picture is the scaling I was talking about. I think it’s just steel not cast so I was trying to take it out to get some measurements and it seems to have warped just right so it won’t fit through the opening. The air tubes are all in good condition still.

IMG_1187.jpeg IMG_1189.jpeg

Okay, that's a large warp, enough to deflect heat where it wasn't intended to go. I wouldn't burn another season with it like that.

Thanks for the quick reply’s by the way, what type/ grade of metal would you recommend for getting a new baffle made? Is regular steel plate ok or is there a specific grade that should be used for the amount of heat it will take?

At least as thick as what is stock.