1. Simon Templar

Simon Templar
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 5, 2014
    Loc:
    PA
    Hello,

Has anyone else with a ci2600/hi400 insert had to replace their combustor yet? My (second) insert was installed in late spring 2015 so I've used it for 2 seasons now. It's been great, but I realized this fall when the burn season started that my combustor seemed like it might be clogged or dirty so I removed the flame guard to clean the combustor and found that it was crumbling. I've reached out to my dealer and they're checking on a warranty claim, but either way I'll be getting a new one.

I've searched for replacements, and the only place that seems to sell them online is here: http://www.firecatcombustors.com/ACI-70C-p/wa-4152000944.htm

Does anyone know of a better place to get them with regard to price? Eventually all of our warranties will expire and these are consumable items so it would be nice to see some price competition.

Also, I'm curious about expected life. Our owner's manual indicates a 6 year warranty with it being prorated in years 4, 5, and 6, but poking around other combustor vendor sites I'm seeing 10k - 12k hour expected life, which translates to only about 2-3 years for those of us who burn more or less full time for 6-7 months each year. Warranties aside, should I reasonably set my expectations to be replacing the combustor every 2 or 3 years? I don't care what the right answer is, but I just don't want to have unreasonable expectations then be sad when they're not met :)

Thanks.

2. Wolves1

Wolves1
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2014
    Loc:
    Malverne ny
    I had to replace my combustor, before I got the adapter to lessen the draft the draft was to strong and flames got to the cat. Direct flame will make the cat to crumble something about the wood on the east coast is worse for the cat if flames hit it. Make sure you have the adapter, and before you close the bypass lower the air 1/2 then close the bypass.

3. vetrano

vetrano
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 16, 2015
    Loc:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Wolves what adaptorr are you talking about?

4. Wolves1

Wolves1
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 15, 2014
    Loc:
    Malverne ny
    Some of the first stoves would over draft so there is an adapter that regency made that would make the air intake smaller. Your dealer can get it for you and it’s easy install. Just loosen the two bolts next to the air intake and slide it in.

5. Simon Templar

Simon Templar
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 5, 2014
    Loc:
    PA
    I'm now even more eager to find more options for the combustor.

It seems that there are multiple versions of our owner's manual. The version I got with my insert in mid-2015 has one page about the combustor warranty, and it does state on that page, "For Canadian Customers Only", though there is no other page for non-Canadian customers. Anyway, that one page states that the customer must work with their vendor where they bought the insert for combustor warranty issues. I called my vendor and they scheduled a tech to come out to take a look. The following week the tech came out, was super polite and awesome, and saw that the combustor had failed. He removed it and took it with him. A few days later I got a call from them saying that the owners manual on regency's website states that I have to work with Applied Ceramics directly. I checked that version of the owners manual on regency's site and saw that it was very different from my paper copy that came with my insert. According to the (presumably newer) manual I need to take photos and send applied ceramics, along with the failed combustor and a copy of my purchase receipt along with a check ($12?), then wait 2-4 weeks for a response.

I don't have my combustor (I can probably get it back from my vendor, but I'm awaiting a call back and apparently what was left is all crumbled away anyway) and applied ceramics isn't answering their phone. It goes to voicemail, the automated message says their voicemail is full and hangs up. At this point, if I get whats left of my combustor back, and if I'm lucky and the vendor took photos they can give me, I'll mail it early next week and hope to be able to use my insert by I'm guessing mid-January. Otherwise what, I mail a letter and hope they read it?

This seems a little silly to me. Is applied ceramics the only vendor to make these for our inserts? I'm of the mind to just buy another one (especially if it's not from applied ceramics) so I can use my insert while pursuing this warranty claim, then keep the new warrantied one on a shelf until I need it in a few years.

6. vetrano

vetrano
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 16, 2015
    Loc:
    Toronto, Ontario
    I dont think I'm anywhere near needing a replacement but I wonder if you can find one with identical specs (same dimensions) instead of searching by model. Perhaps calling the various manufactures with specs in hand will find that another stove uses the same sized combustor.

Please let us know if you find anything and what applied ceramics does as we will all be in the same situation sooner or later.

7. Simon Templar

Simon Templar
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 5, 2014
    Loc:
    PA
    I spoke with Regency and their design and testing was all done with Applied Ceramics combustors so that's what they recommend and support. With that said the only place to buy them that I've found (online) is from firecatcombustors.com which is applied ceramics website. I didn't ask my local Regency vendor how much they sell the combustors for but I suspect I'll be asking in a few years when I need another.

I did speak with someone at applied ceramics and they were nice and helpful so I'm confident that my insert will be back up and heating my house soon. I suppose I'll just have to keep my ears open for where to buy replacements for next time around...

But if you're reading this thread, go to regency's website and download the latest copy of the user manual for your insert; I lost about a week and a half because my combustor warranty page is for Canadian customers, while the latest manual version has pages for both Canadian and US customers.