REPLACING DOOR GASKETS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter_nate

Dec 21, 2009
SW Ontario
I noticed with my stove that with the doors shut I can see traces of the fire burning in between the door and the box. I am thinking that they may need to be replaced. Could this be effecting the way it is operating?

Yes. Replace the gaskets.

scooter_nate said:
I noticed with my stove that with the doors shut I can see traces of the fire burning in between the door and the box. I am thinking that they may need to be replaced. Could this be effecting the way it is operating?

Replace the gasket for sure, but be careful. With some stoves, like mine, unfortunately, the manufacturer recommended gasket is simply too thick. End result was the door latch broke clean off under the pressure of holding the door closed against too much gasket. Ideally, you want to replace the door gasket in the warmer months when you can fiddle with it without risking losing your source of heat.

If you've never done it before, consider taking the door off and bringing it to your dealer's repair dept. to do the replacement so you have somebody to blame if it's not right!

Umm...it lets air in where it should not. This will shorten burn times and potentially produce overfires. It is only a few bucks to replace the gaskets so just do it.

I am going to do it, I was just wondering if that had anything to do with why I can't get my flue temp. up high enough. I am having issues keeping my stove burning hot when I close the doors it snuffs the fire out.

Status
Not open for further replies.