Report on my new 50-TVL17 stove! (lots of pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
After considering the advice provided here, and researching the subject to death...I chose the Englands Summers Heat 50-svl17, or the 50-tvl17, not sure which.
The box says "S" and the order says "T" they look the same anyway.

I placed it in my garage workshop (separate from any vehicles and fuel, etc, and with the written blessing of my insurance company.
There are no codes where I am, but everything was installed in a safe, professional manner following the stove manufacturers directions, and the stove pipe install guide.

I chose double wall Selkirk pipe (and system).
I started with 12' of pipe total, from the stovetop to the chimney cap, but ended up adding 2 more feet of exterior pipe, for a total of 14'.
I was concerned about so much pipe projecting from the low (3/12) pitch roof.
It looked pretty bad being new and bright, but some brown paint helped a lot to let it blend in.

67c26f944e5a05ee4bf35d0330eb61228ca878e4.jpg

585269243758e5a24343d10c37c61133064e81d1.jpg

I ordered the stove, and while waiting installed the flue and associated system.
The stove took two weeks to arrive, reasonable since I'm in Illinois, and it started in VA.
Picked it up at the truck terminal Monday morning!

Here are some pictures of the stove in case anyone is considering one.

0781604b5f5a493b080717fc0ed47cef692d3189.jpg

5be3658f44575d2c56ab45bd31e10c12fa3956bd.jpg

5a426bd4955ad56949834a0ce72708a5c5bbb1f9.jpg

88536653459d5545563b4c5e341607872f95f446.jpg

a541674a5251483900e0afe8672a0d3765a7b9f0.jpg

a2e26234b15925e240633309d5fe2c8485e68ae9.jpg

9d1360f449df5e925878464439c80fca37029ca7.jpg

881364c84f495cf756c5491c3d6809115d5881de.jpg

d5016d4159544c3801b3eb62b771e83d3e67eee3.jpg

8ca169455f5f453b019466d3bd1501eb6e010c87.jpg

It isn't much to look at, as style goes, but I wasn't after anything fancy for the shop.

Here is what it looks like installed;

ca616d435d58433e0b7cabb20cf04fb0833eaea8.jpg

a793636c457c5c985eae425d3ab50af632e238c7.jpg

I did my three break in fires as per the instructions.
Here is the second one climbing toward 400 degrees.

0123696d441156845649488f3fb40381839b7471.jpg

And another;
380360974fd550b45dff4fcd3a980314dd803ed2.jpg

Today, I fired it up for real.

It took about ten minutes to get a good blaze going so I could shut down the air.
It has been cruising steadily all day at 80 degrees (in the shop) with outside temps at 40.
I'm burning a mix of Willow and Cherry cut, split and stacked last winter.
I picked up a cheap HF. moisture meter and was pleasantly surprised to find 12% on the Willow, and 15% on the Cherry. Pretty darn dry!
As one might imagine, the Willow is good kindling, but dissapears pretty fast. The Cherry though, will burn for about 2-3 hours.
The splits are pretty small, and the rounds of Cherry are 3-4".
I'm hoping to get closer to 4-6 hours between loads once the weather turns cold, so I can put more than one or two small pieces in at a time.
I'm working on establishing a decent ash bed too.

As expected, when running the stove on low, the glass dirties up, but open the air and let it burn hot, and it clears right up.

I was concerned when looking, and still am, about the small capacity of the stove and being able to keep a fire going while at work.
Much too soon to tell yet.

I was very surprised to see that the firebox is much larger than I had imagined a stove that is only 12.5" deep would be.
I think I can get 5 or 6 splits in it.

I have thus far only one complaint, and that is every time I go in the house, I get cold!
I've never cared for the forced air furnace in the house, and now coming from a very warm shop into a much cooler house is going to be a challenge...

I'm really enjoying it, day #1 is a big success!
More as I learn how to run this thing.

Rob

Looks terrific! you sound hooked like the rest of us. In a few weeks you are going to want one inside the house. Keep us posted on how she runs. I might have a similar app for my shop as well.

Thanks!

I've been hooked since age 16 (51 now).
It all started when I spent several months in the fall and early winter in a small mountain town in Oregon (Austin, in case anyone knows it).
The elderly lady I stayed with taught me how to load the wood stove in the living room, and better yet how to load and cook on the wood range in the kitchen in exchange for splitting and stacking wood for the winter.

Later on I put a potbelly in a house at age 19.
It was a lot of fun, heated with only wood for an entire winter.
The stove was either way too hot, or the fire was out...but still, quite an experience!

A few years later I put in a wood furnace in another house, but then my first child arrived, we sold the house and moved on.

The last 30 years have been spent raising children and suffering with a ZC fireplace.
My wife kind of likes wood heat, but really doesn't want it in our house.
The floorplan is pretty awful too, it would be hard to pull off.

So, at least for now, the shop will be my new home...

Rob

I've been eyeing that stove. i really like the looks of it. I am thinking the size would be perfect for a cabin, but I worry about burn times. Let me know how that ends up working for you.

Thanks for the pictures. Love the workshop too and can tell you are a nature lover just by looking at those lights on left.

Dennis,

I wondered who would be the first to appreciate them!

My grandfather collected the small one in the 50's and I got it at his passing.
The big one I collected a few years ago.

Nature is the coolest place I know.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the photos--they are very fun to see, and for telling us a little about yourself. You've got a cool (warm) space there. ;-)

Congrats on the stove, and good luck in all things.

Welcome to the forum.

Very nice shop and stove.

Thanks for posting Rob, the stove and shop look great. Good to hear that you are off to a nice start. Be careful not to back into that puppy when working!

I hate to rain on your parade..But...

That ain't no work-shop...

That's a Man Cave!!!

Refridge full of Tall Boys, Pringles on the shelf, Rifles on the wall, Coffe Pot for the A.M.

You are in Heavon, my friend!!

I bet you even get paid to be there?

48rob said:
I placed it in my garage workshop...

Huh, where are all the oily tools. The tore apart small engine carbs. That one part that needs to be welded. The box of misc. bolts that you have been meaning to get to for a couple months. Man - that doesn't look like my shop, and your probably BETTER off for it not to. :lol:

I'm really glad you like it! I'm quite proud of its simple looks and construction and I bet it'll keep you warm out there in the shop for a long time.

Reactions: billb3
What’s that in the corner in picture 13? How does the ‘17 compare?

Retired,

It is a Warm Morning 25000 btu NG heater.

You can watch the fire, but the blower is noisy.
Better than some of the alternatives...
I still use it/plan to use it to keep the shop warm when the other fire goes out.

The wood stove is quiet, much less expensive to run, and feels better (the heat from it).

As an added bonus, my heath is better from all the associated chores required to tend it.

Rob

joecool85 said:
SmokingAndPoking said:
I'm quite proud of its simple looks and construction and I bet it'll keep you warm out there in the shop for a long time.

Do you have one as well?

No, but I did design the stove. :)

Awesome! I can't wait to get mine installed!

I actually kind of like it's looks... when I started this whole shebang I got so frustrated trying to find one I could afford, that was a good stove, would fit in my trailer, not overheat, be safe in a small space, etc etc etc that I was basically at the point of I JUST WANT A BOX WITH A FIRE IN IT. Lo and behold, there she is!

~Rose

SmokingAndPoking said:
joecool85 said:
SmokingAndPoking said:
I'm quite proud of its simple looks and construction and I bet it'll keep you warm out there in the shop for a long time.

Do you have one as well?

Corie?? Is that you?

I’m really glad you like it! I’m quite proud of its simple looks and construction and I bet it’ll keep you warm out there in the shop for a long time.

So, are you the infamous Corie (sp) that designed the stove?

I like it very much so far.
It has only been in the low 40's thus far.
Running it as low as I can is giving me a very comfortable 80 degree shop.
It sure looks like when the averages hit 20 degrees outside, the stove will be just right running at about 400 degrees!

So please, tell me/us about some of the design's and theories you used for the stove.
Any why's and hows?

I like the secondary top plate with air space.
I can't cook on it, but it sure stays cooler and moves a lot of air!

Is the purpose of the steel panel/channel in the center rear of the stove carry combustion air to the top tubes?

Rob

48rob - 16 November 2010 05:09 PM
I placed it in my garage workshop…

Huh, where are all the oily tools. The tore apart small engine carbs. That one part that needs to be welded. The box of misc. bolts that you have been meaning to get to for a couple months. Man - that doesn’t look like my shop, and your probably BETTER off for it not to.

Jags,

I actually have several "shops" this one has evolved into more of a...man cave...
c2b1634c5e514d3b0dbd635fa7776ec7994f960e.gif

Rob

I hate to rain on your parade..But…

That ain’t no work-shop…

That’s a Man Cave!!!

Refridge full of Tall Boys, Pringles on the shelf, Rifles on the wall, Coffe Pot for the A.M.

You are in Heavon, my friend!!

I bet you even get paid to be there?

MW,

Well, truth be known, as part of my job, my employer REQUIRES that I maintain an office of sorts.
Since trying to work in the house with all the distractions would never do...
Since I also fix things and need a place to do so, he provides this garage...and house, and a few other things.

The garage started out as my wood working shop, but the mess soon got to be too hard to contain, so I moved the woodshop to another building and made this one my general shop with desk and computer.
Over the years the work bench shrunk from 24' to 6' and the electronic age moved in...along with the fridge and coffee pot and lunch and all the other really important things in life!
(I have several other shops that me and the guys actually work out of, nice guys they are, but I don't share this one!)

I don't get to spend too much time indoors, but enjoy mornings and evenings and lunch on my own time.
And getting paid to work in it a few hours a week is very nice too!

Rob

Jags said:
SmokingAndPoking said:
joecool85 said:
SmokingAndPoking said:

Do you have one as well?

Corie?? Is that you?

Yeah its me. I've been quietly watching the forum for a while now, interested to see what everyone thought of this stove. I'm glad to see that the first review is positive! I wish I would have taken one with me for my garage too. The stove has a pretty neat double baffle system, more like a Morso and less like a Quadrafire. Something a little different that really helped clean the stove up. Keeps the secondary gas temps high for a little longer. Plus, the double top means that the blower pushes some seriously hot air into the room!

SmokingAndPoking said:
Jags said:
SmokingAndPoking said:
joecool85 said:
SmokingAndPoking said:

Do you have one as well?

Corie?? Is that you?

Yeah its me. I've been quietly watching the forum for a while now, interested to see what everyone thought of this stove. I'm glad to see that the first review is positive! I wish I would have taken one with me for my garage too. The stove has a pretty neat double baffle system, more like a Morso and less like a Quadrafire. Something a little different that really helped clean the stove up. Keeps the secondary gas temps high for a little longer. Plus, the double top means that the blower pushes some seriously hot air into the room!

You had the option to take one with you and you didn't? Bummer.

Also, did you totally design this stove all on your own? Was it while you were working for Englander, or on your own and then Englander bought the rights to it?

This is the coolest little stove I've seen available in my area of the US and it's really exciting being able to hear about some of it's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.