respond to this letter from Kerry about renewables?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Webmaster said:
A couple points:

5. Personally, I am against most private windmills due to site problems, etc. - so much more is gained from wind farms. So I would not give too large of a credit for small residential units.

I agree depending on where one lives but my house is literally in the middle of 6 acres of woods, during Winter one of my neighbors MAY see the windmill.
My two neighbors both own 6 and 10 acres respectively and we have cranberry bogs abutting the backs of our lots eliminating any site issues.

babalu87 said:
1-800-jon4wood (oooh Golf reference, getting closer Elk, JobLot has a BEEG sale on Golf shoes this week)

I want a tax break on my stove retroactive to when it was installed.
Tax credits for windows, doors, insulation, hi-efficiency boilers and furnaces but not for the stove and chimney!

There should also be some sort of low to zero interest loan program for those willing to go with solar or wind power for electricity. Maybe the program can be something simple. For instance, the loan is zero or VERY low interest for your purchase and installation of a windmill to provide electricity to your home. They can make sure of your dedication by monitoring your electric bill and the interest rate could go up along with penalties if you decide to go back on grid. I would install a windmill tomorrow if the initial cash out of pocket wasnt so high.

I like that idea, good one Babalu. How bout a zero interest loan, and the possible ability that if there is a surplus of power from your wind or solar generated electric, it gets sold back to the electric co., and a percentage put towards paying the loan? Not sure if it would work.

Harley said:
Like the list, Jags (had to re-read # 6 a few times.... thought we were writing a diet book)

adding Baba's:

9. Expanding the energy efficient property credit to include wood stoves.

Great thinking Harley!!!!! I agree! A tax credit should be given to any homeowner that limits or reduces their fossil fuel usage. Especially OIL.
How much more American can you get then Flipping the ol middle finger to OPEC? Anyone who limits and cuts down on foreign oil dependency should be rewarded!

Elk, there are some great stories in the members stories section that, for me, capture the essence of what burning wood is about. The self reliance, the consideration of the environment and world we live in, the positive influences on local economy, and the fulfilling feeling the whole process provides for us and (hopefully) our families as well. Many of these stories are well written and seem to be what I hear he's looking for, you know, nice sound bites!

Not to slow eveyone down here (myself included), because there's some great ideas floating around, but after re-reading the text of the original post that Elk put up... I'm not sure at this point, that it should turn into a response that seems more like a lobbying effort. It would be great to have an "ear" to listen to our side of the story, but it looks like they are looking for more of... "what have you, me, us did to make the world a greener place " I think that was the original "question"

Just throwing that out for consideration, and I think collectively, we've got a lot of ammo there. I do think this could be a good opportunity and Hogz put it very well about setting the politics aside, and trying to get some good coherent message sent.

But being the realist I am... If WE don't do this, and get some sort of response fairly soon... my guess is that the "other side" will, and he'll run with that.

Fact of life. Wood burners are a small enough piece of the constituency to not mean squat to a politician. Tell him you have sqiggly florescent bulbs in your house.

downeast said:
True history: no one in our Vets Against the War c. 1970 on ,had any respect...

Did two tours dickhead. Don't wanna hear it. Kerry shot more communists than you have ever seen.

Hurry, your swiftboat is leaving the dock.

What an ahole. Keep your politic bs out of a good thread. Take your crap to the ashcan, theres plenty of folks there to debate all you want.
At least Kerry served, unlike your butt buddy Bush couldn't even show up for his reserve duty, and Cheney who skated totally around it.

I had a pretty good post going but some how lost it (somehow went back a page and when I came back my post was gone........ Can we do something to this where if you go back to check a fact the open reply doesn't disappear??????????)
Any way Yes the stove manufactures and bio fuel companies should get the tax incentives that Big oil gets and help them to make cleaner stoves, or in the fuel catagory a steady supply.
The people whom buy a new stove should get a tax break of some sort to help offset the cost of the stove. If the average joe had a choice to keep burning that old oil burner or get a pellet stove(for example) He would choose the Oil cause he doesn't have any incentive to spend 2-3 grand on a new stove other than being Green..... He aslo only has to turn a dial on the wall to get heat..
So for me who has burned pellets for 4 years as my sole source of heat, no more fossil fuels. According to several members here I should stop using pellets cause its cheaper according to the calculators to burn oil or NG............That is a mixed message. So maybe I should take the attitude of most other people and say screw it as long as I'm saving money who care's about the environment... This I'm afraid is the bigest hurdle to overcome...
Anyway My other post is gone and I'm about 2 more beers into it since I started the other post..... So I'm not gonna go into all the other stuff tonight.......
Maybe tomorrow ;-)

I don't like him or his stupid mouth words.

downeast said:
Mr E : The "letter" is a PR mass mailing from a data base of the closest 100,000+ demographics...you made it. %-P The naive sign is lit large on the forehead. For local consumption: the Texas White House is 4000 ft², recycled construction materials, low water re-use. AlGore's Tennessee home ? Look it up.
So E. if you want to lead, do it right. And, BTW: get some real chaps, head protection, and real work boots. Yes, shut the furnace OFF. :-/

Hey, Down.....

Are you discounting the tens of thousands of pounds of fuel that Air Force One uses to visit the green Texas House? Is that your idea of leadership? I'm just wondering why you cite such an example when it is quite obvious from every piece of legislation that the current admin has passed that they are not into saving energy....sure, when things went bad they tried to throw out some energy PR - like 50 cents a gallon to Archer Daniels Midland for making inefficient corn fuel.

BTW, I do agree that these are usually form letter - I'm certain I got one, but I delete all the Kerry (and any other pol) emails before I read them. When Kerry goes for the Cape Wind Project, then I'll start listening to him. I don't care how rich he is, how many people he killed, nor how big his car is - but when he strives to save his view and hurts the people of the commonwealth because of it, I'm not happy. I sent him email long ago complaining about that, and that is probably why I am on the "green" Kerry list.

UncleRich said:
Warren said:
Dear John,

There once was a man from Lake Furning
Who had a particular yearning
and he said with some glee as he hacked at the tree
if I'd cut it last year I'd be burning

Mind if I borrow your limerick? I have a very perfect application. Won't Disclose.....yet. Stay tuned, anyway.

Posts to internet forums are public domain. I just ask for credit. :)

Webmaster said:
A couple points:

1. Wind farms off of Cape Cod....Kerry is fighting these tooth and nail, but the "people" want them.
2. Fund the tax credit for biomass stoves - congress approved the credit but did not fund it.
3. Stop creating artificial markets that screw up the real ones - example, big subsidy for ethanol is making a false boom in the midwest and increasing the price of feed corn, food corn and fuel corn.
4. Woodstoves, pellet stoves and even efficient gas units are NEVER mentioned by the government as part of the renewable energy "scene", yet these units are doing a big part. Lat's talk about them instead of just pie-in-the-sky stuff.
5. Personally, I am against most private windmills due to site problems, etc. - so much more is gained from wind farms. So I would not give too large of a credit for small residential units.

WOW good one Web. I second the Cape wind thing. I disagree with you on private wind mills, but let me explain. Many of the apple orchards around here have them stuck in the middle of the orchard, used for pumping water. They are modern wind generators, and I think that's a great application. However, a noisy wind generator in a subdivision would be bad. Min- land for private would need to be part of the legislation.

I'd like to see improvements in building codes that increase current r19/R38 for walls/ceiling (at least in NE it is), to r29/r60. This would amount to adding r10 foam board on the outside of a structure. Also mandates on min temps in large stores like malls in summer that would not cause the employees to need sweaters. I think this country has gone lighting mad. Another is better energy management in data centers. Did you know that CMOS based computers now consume power nearly as much as old bipolar machines from the 80's? Did you know that one of the biggest problems in developing denser racks is heat dissipation?

The government regulates the emissions from cars, why not the power consumption for electric appliances and computers?

Why are incondessent (sp?) light bulbs for house hold lighting even sold any more?
Yeah Yeah I know.. dimmers :mad:

So, anyone keeping score for Elk here?

Yes it is a stamp mailing but what you missed is I have been corresponding with his staff for quite some time.
The second point was to get forum imput not just for this mass mailing but a good a combined front. If you read the first post I repeat I have been corresponding with his staff

Also note he is a Ma senator which we vote for. I have actually met him in person a few years back at local town meting at that time I was not in tune or trying to influence or make aware of my wood burning ,this is about 5 years back. If you have something constructive or want to penn something go a head, this is the purpose of the post

If you have something personal to gripe PM me or take it to the ash can I'm trying to help out what the hell are your motives?
I'm putting a lot of effort into presenting the best possible image. I'm sock and tired of your personal attacks and petty BS. Got a problem I asked you before air it out instead of nick picking back stabing, I will not place my self and call what I'm thinking and stop here or That would Be lowering myself to your level. what is it with you you have constantly tried to bait me Got a problem with Vc I postyed the phone numbers to take it up with them so what did they tell you. I'm not employed at CFM

Please other member don't engage with him leave it, it is not productive. Can we move on to the point indended You know Downeast there is an ignor option on this site, pretty soon you will be preaching to an audience of one, you.

Can we stop with the Air Force One crap, its not as if Bush can jump in a Prius with the Secret Service ET AL and head to the ranch.

Bush ranch is WAY MORE green than any home Gore owns PERIOD, if Gore was in office would the energy policy be that much different? He didnt get green until he lost the election.
As far as Kerry goes, if he shows interest in our cause I would rather he carried the torch than Terd Kennedy

Ash Can time. This thread is helping no one.

I would appeal to the moderators to do that split thing and get rid of the part of this thread that went way Off topic....
I don't like him either........ but if there is a slight chance of someone, even him listening and helping why not give it a shot.

Here ius where we differ You sit at you keybioard in you world to critize others Please white up what you woiuld say put it down post it
Currently I do not have the time I never mentioned this before Mommie once told me that it was ok to help others that need it
I have done more today then many do in a life time that plow attached to my truck has assisted may elderly citizens yesterday and today
No I do not charge them some I do not even know I see them struggling with this very rain soaked snow And I make a psss or two and leave.
then there are the ones on my street for years I have asisted ocasionally they bake me a blueberrie pie or cookies. I would like to spread the good news liunch for me is over The church just called needing my backhoe to bucket and push back the piles. No I do not expect to get paid nor, will I ask. There are times when it feels good to give back.

Remodeling I have also been selective as if I charge of what I charge. In this world there are doers and talkers I let the forum members figure out which is which
I know a few will back me the ones I helped install theiir liners and stoves To me its ok to do the talk as long as you actions back it up.

No thanks for dragging forum participation of the orginal post into the gutter. Want some saving grace post a complete wite up of the message you would send. That's all I asked

i do not have the interlectual prose that you claim I lack.

elkimmeg said:
Here ius where we differ You sit at you keybioard in you world to critize others Please white up what you woiuld say put it down post it
Currently I do not have the time I never mentioned this before Mommie once told me that it was ok to help others that need it
I have done more today then many do in a life time that plow attached to my truck has assisted may elderly citizens yesterday and today
No I do not charge them some I do not even know I see them struggling with this very rain soaked snow And I make a psss or two and leave.
then there are the ones on my street for years I have asisted ocasionally they bake me a blueberrie pie or cookies. I would like to spread the good news liunch for me is over The church just called needing my backhoe to bucket and push back the piles. No I do not expect to get paid nor, will I ask. There are times when it feels good to give back.

Remodeling I have also been selective as if I charge of what I charge. In this world there are doers and talkers I let the forum members figure out which is which
I know a few will back me the ones I helped install theiir liners and stoves To me its ok to do the talk as long as you actions back it up.

No thanks for dragging forum participation of the orginal post into the gutter. Want some saving grace post a complete wite up of the message you would send. That's all I asked

i do not have the interlectual prose that you claim I lack.

Elk,

if you want someone to QC what you write, send it to me via PM and I'll scrub the English for you......

I just excersised the ignore option of this forum Never thought I needed it

downeast said:
elkimmeg said:
10 encourage R&D into biofuel logs and pellets perhaps tax incentives
11 Coupled with#10 ramp up pellet production, to the point where supply = demand Their cost must be reduced so that pellets are viviable alternative to fosil fuel.
Some of the oil comapies incentives should be applied to this fuel scource,
12 Education how to effeciently opperate a stove in the cleanest safest way

Mr E : The "letter" is a PR mass mailing from a data base of the closest 100,000+ demographics...you made it. %-P The naive sign is lit large on the forehead.
Please, if you are going to promote this cause ( a good one ) , please, check your communications. Re read from the point of view of your being a college grad. :wow: Spelling and grammar count in the real world for gravitas with the big boys. ( I would not chose Mr J.Forbes Kerry (JFK) as a leader. Full jacket disclosure. True history: no one in our Vets Against the War c. 1970 on ,had any respect for Mr Kerry; it was too obvious that he was running for something, standing for nothing. JMHO)
Can you spell "Scaramouche" ? Want to Google the fuel consumption of JFK's toy ?
For the anti-Bush crowd ready to flame : Bush's GPA was higher than JFK's at Yale. For local consumption: the Texas White House is 4000 ft², recycled construction materials, low water re-use. AlGore's Tennessee home ? Look it up.
So E. if you want to lead, do it right. And, BTW: get some real chaps, head protection, and real work boots. Yes, shut the furnace OFF. :-/

Bush used congress'es athority to jump into war (and not continue inspections even though at the last hour Hussain opened all ports including his palaces for inspection) Let's be clear here - congress gave the athority to pursue all means, including force, to enforce the UN mandates - BUSH - immeadiately chose force rather than inspections and deplomacy - it is the commander and chief - BUSH - that made the decision to invade IRAQ.

We are now stuck in our 5th year of another nation's civil war after having attacted a country that was never a threat to us, that had never attact us, that was ruled by a two bit toothless dictator who was never nor WOOD EVER BE a threat to us, ..... good lord! ..... look, we were never better off after having attacked Vietnam .... nor are we any worse off for having left there - --- except for the loss of 45000 american boys and 2-3 million Vietnamese

I think wood burning for heat purposes is highly misunderstood, i.e., people often see it as making pollution as opposed to being a renewable energy approach. But we are doing something green, so why not talk it up. Personally, burning wood is just one of many things I do to make the planet green. Freecycle is another excellent system for reducing waste and consumption, are you all into that? I even promote it in my annual holiday newsletter. The free side of craigslist is good as well, although freecycle is all about reducing waste, and with craigslist it is incidental. I also personally rescue a couple dozen boxes of produce almost every week and keep them out of the landfill, and get food to people or compost what doesn't make it. But I suppose you want to focus your attention to one topic, namely wood burning and energy related issues?

For editing purposes I am well qualified. Did all sorts of editing and technical writing at AT&T, edited friends' papers throughout college, won the school spelling bee in 8th grade, and harass people occasionally on HearthNet for using apostrophes at random, so all the right background here. :) Would be glad to proofread whatever you come up with. Hard to imagine castiron and I are saying the same thing about something. ;-) I am only online at night usually, sending me something by email is best.

if Gore was in office would the energy policy be that much different? He didnt get green until he lost the election.
Not to be ashcan-y, but I had to address this big lie. If you knew anything about Al Gore, you'd know that he has been concerned about the environment for a couple decades at least. He personally wrote a book about environmental issues. It was published BEFORE he was ever vice president. Hubby and I reviewed it. I assure you that if Al Gore was president (like he should be!) energy policy would NOT have been decided behind closed doors by oil company executives. He is really, truly concerned.

BioPellet said:
Bush used congress'es athority to jump into war (and not continue inspections even though at the last hour Hussain opened all ports including his palaces for inspection) Let's be clear here - congress gave the athority to pursue all means, including force, to enforce the UN mandates - BUSH - immeadiately chose force rather than inspections and deplomacy - it is the commander and chief - BUSH - that made the decision to invade IRAQ.

BioPellet,

If democrats voted to give Bush the authority to do A, B, and C and Bush immediately proceeds to option "C" to invade Iraq, then the Democrats have only one person to blame if they don't like that..... and that person is seen in the bathroom mirror every morning and it's "themselves". Let's be academically truthful here: if they voted for giving Bush that authority and then when Buse uses that authority, they then cannot claim "it's not what we intended"..........

Status
Not open for further replies.