Rising Stove Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wooduser

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2018
seattle, wa
My old steel stove looks like most such stoves, sitting on a sheet metal stand eight inches above the hearth, so I've always tended the stove while kneeling on the floor.

At age 69, that's more burdensome than it used to be, and likely to be more burdensome in the years to come.

So I'm considering sitting the whole stove, including the existing stand on a steel table of some kind, or perhaps doing away with the stand and mounting the stove directly on such a table. That would enable me to tend the stove comfortably while standing.

I'm guessing that a main reason for that kind of low design is that it sucks up cooler air at floor level to be heated by the stove, and secondarily is easier to be held stable on a short column compared with a taller column.

Anyone have objections to raising a stove higher like that, as long as it's done in a way that preserves the stability of the stove?.

I have a friend with one mounted like that in his garage to meet his insurance company requirements at the time. Looked odd at first. Has worked fine for years. It is on concrete. For what its worth!

My old steel stove looks like most such stoves, sitting on a sheet metal stand eight inches above the hearth, so I've always tended the stove while kneeling on the floor.

At age 69, that's more burdensome than it used to be, and likely to be more burdensome in the years to come.

So I'm considering sitting the whole stove, including the existing stand on a steel table of some kind, or perhaps doing away with the stand and mounting the stove directly on such a table. That would enable me to tend the stove comfortably while standing.

I'm guessing that a main reason for that kind of low design is that it sucks up cooler air at floor level to be heated by the stove, and secondarily is easier to be held stable on a short column compared with a taller column.

Anyone have objections to raising a stove higher like that, as long as it's done in a way that preserves the stability of the stove?.
The only thing to be careful of is top clearances.

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
It's an eight foot ceiling, so that shouldn't be a problem.
That depends how high your stove is and how much you raise it. You need 36" above it

Thank you bholler. I don't anticipate doing this until summer when I take the stove out to clean and inspect it.

Sounds like there is no objection in principle to making that modification.

I'll start looking around for a steel table of suitable height.

Thank you bholler. I don't anticipate doing this until summer when I take the stove out to clean and inspect it.

Sounds like there is no objection in principle to making that modification.

I'll start looking around for a steel table of suitable height.
Nope no problem at all as long as you don't go to high

A slowly built up hearth? Raise each side up and slide a 3/4" board under it. Eventually you will be able to replace the boards with concrete pavers or similar. I jacked a cabin up 1 board at a time.

Trying to shift a few hundred lbs of steel onto a table sounds like a leg accident waiting to happen.

A slowly built up hearth? Raise each side up and slide a 3/4" board under it. Eventually you will be able to replace the boards with concrete pavers or similar. I jacked a cabin up 1 board at a time.

Trying to shift a few hundred lbs of steel onto a table sounds like a leg accident waiting to happen.
I would just pick it up with the stove cart personally

I will be taking the stove apart this summer, removing the door, firebrick and such to inspect the stove and paint it as needed. With that weight removed, it's not much of a problem to handle as needed. I don't expect any difficulty finding a suitable steel table in the next six months to sit the stove upon. After I remove what can easily be removed, it weighs perhaps 200 pounds. Easy enough to move around ----I've typically rolled it out my front door and slid it down the front steps to work on it on my lawn during the summer.

I also take apart the chimney connector and clean and inspect the connector and class A chimney at the same time. So I can readjust the chimney connector to fit the new situation easily enough.

I'm not especially picky about the height either, and I can either include the present stand or discard it as seems best. The present sheet metal stand holds the stove 8" above the hearth.