Roaring Fire but No Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
All open would be the setting when first starting a fire to give it as much oxygen as possible to get it going. Then close the bottom first (seconds or minutes after starting to prevent it from roaring up the stack) and as it comes up to temp, close the top slowly (open a few turns to start) it will soon only require about a turn or less. Then close the pipe damper partially. It’s easy to close it too much. The object is keeping the flue temp above 250* to the top. At 250*f. The water vapor from combustion condenses on chimney flue walls. This allow smoke particles to stick which forms creosote. The thermometer shows surface temperature which is about 1/2 the actual flue gas temp. Putting the thermometer on the pipe where it connects to chimney gives you an idea of flue gas entering chimney, then it’s a guess how much cooling there is to the top. Larger diameter chimneys allow expansion of gasses which cool them considerably. You’re good from that standpoint. Outdoor chimneys and tall ones cool more towards the top, so they need to have more heat lost up them.

It’s not all about the stove, the chimney plays a very important part in what makes the stove work. Hot gasses inside the flue are lighter than outside colder air. As they rise, this creates a low pressure area in connector pipe and stove. This lower air pressure allows atmospheric air pressure to PUSH into the stove. This feeds the fire oxygen to make it go. Pressure differential is measured as draft. The more temperature differential between inside and outside of the chimney, the stronger the draft. So as it gets colder, the stove will automatically burn harder. The flue damper slows velocity of rising gasses, decreasing draft. No one can tell you where to set it, or the stove controls since pressure, altitude, pipe configuration and chimney all affect the draft.
Since atmospheric pressure is always changing among other factors like fuel and pressure in house from exhaust fans etc. it is impossible to keep the draft exact. Since a coal fire needs much better control of air through the fire, a barometric damper is used with coal to keep the draft constant. They should not be used with wood since they OPEN a flap allowing indoor cooler air into chimney to cool the rising gasses and slow it down, regulating draft by cooling the flue. Coal creates no flammable creosote, so it isn’t a fire hazard. Wood smoke creates creosote, so during a chimney fire a barometric damper would open to slow the chimney, actually feeding the chimney fire oxygen. That type damper only works with the fire on stove side! Not to be used with wood.

Now you have an understanding of how oxygen gets into a controlled intake stove and what makes it work. Any stove will work with a good drafting chimney, no stove will work with a poor drafting chimney. Asking if a stove is junk is not a viable question. A stove that works well for one person may not be right for another. A newer stove will get more heat out of each piece of wood. But that wood has to be dried correctly and tested since newer stoves require higher quality fuel. If someone has a large area to heat in a hurry with less than optimal wood, they need a stove like yours. It will get hotter than a newer style stove, also burning more wood. Coal gives much more even heat without the temperature swings of wood. If you don’t have a saw, truck, trailer, splitter.... coal is SO much easier. One match lights it in November until you let it go out in the spring!
Anyone that gets injured, old, or just tired of wood is going to appreciate your stove and wish they didn’t buy a newer EPA wood only burner. It depends on location as well, being close to coal supplies can be a deciding factor.

Why would you not want to replace this or use it? In a emergency power outage, you can heat your house, cook and heat hot water! I have seen many ice storms with power outages a week or more here in NEPA.

Reactions: jatoxico
Anyone that gets injured, old, or just tired of wood is going to appreciate your stove and wish they didn’t buy a newer EPA wood only burner.

How is coal of the flue system? Dirty, corrosive?

Corrosive. Emissions can be an issue as can the disposal of the ash.

It's definitely cinder block.
Perhaps you’re calling a cement block a “cinder block”? Unless you mean your house was built in 1880.
1980 would certainly be cement block made of concrete. Cinder blocks were made from cinders before burning coal became efficient enough to no longer produce enough cinders. They are very rough and very lightweight compared to todays cement blocks. I’m not sure of the year they were no longer produced, (1920’s) but cinder blocks were patented in 1890 and many were made on site from cinders found in ash pits. (Ash today is very fine without cinders unless lifted from a fire bed from steam engine exhaust). By 1905 there were 1500 companies manufacturing concrete blocks in the US. Cinders were also added between the war years in the US to save on materials. Lightweight blocks can add cinders, but are not normally allowed in construction codes for load bearing walls and foundations. You’re only going to find cinder blocks in a much older home.

Last edited:
How is coal of the flue system? Dirty, corrosive?
Fly ash in chimney is more corrosive in stainless chimney and liners made for coal are made with more corrosion resistant material. It can be strongly acidic at pH 4 or alkaline at pH 12. Over time it absorbs carbon dioxide and becomes between 8 and 9. So stored or used for anti-skid is not an issue. It does not have the potash qualities wood ash does used on acidic ground. It has no minerals to support plant growth, so is not beneficial in a garden or making compost like using wood ash. (wood ash Is equal to potash that promotes reproduction) I use it around fence posts, electric poles and roadsides (I have private roads) to slow weed growth and it makes weeds very easy to pull if they do grow in it over years.

I clean chimney at the end of season so the moisture during summer doesn't turn it to acid in the pipe. I also rinse my connector pipe with water, dry and store for the summer. If you don't do that, you will be replacing connector every few years.
I'm burning coal this season since I wasn't able to do much wood over the past year. I take a break from wood heating every few years and simply pay $440 for 2 tons and shake it a few times a day, remove ash and load once a day. Very even steady heat and we can be gone for much longer periods of time. This is our only heat source.
Not all coal is equal. Anthracite mined near me is very clean compared to many others, some will be high in sulfur, etching into glass if you don't clean it daily, others not so much. Like anything else, burning hot and clean is best, you can make it smell like a steam engine outside if you try, just like you can make any stove smoke if you try.

Last edited:
Reactions: jatoxico
1. That stove is fine enough to heat with and cost you nothing...heat with it and see if you like wood heat.
2. once the stove is crackling and roaring away...say 30 minutes after the fire is established... turn the dampner on the stove pipe to have close...turn it to your right.
3. make sure your wood is good and dry. use the fan after the 30 minute mark...
4. enjoy!