Roofer painted chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BamaRama

Apr 18, 2015
Colorado
The roofers painted my Supervent chimney to match the roof. I did not want it painted and no one asked. Prior to job start I told the roofing contractor verbatim, " If you need to change anything on the chimney, let me know". and there's nothing in the contract about painting it.

Once it's painted, it has to be repainted and I cant get to it. And I kinda liked the shiny protrusion belching smoke into the sky.

Not sure what their process was to paint it, but I'm going to find out.

Instructions say: The Flashing and Storm Collar may be painted to match the roof shingles. This will extend its life and improve the appearance. The chimney may be painted also with a HEAT RESISTANT paint. To improve adhesion to the SuperVent/SuperPro chimney, degrease, clean and prime before painting. Follow the paint manufacturer's instructions.

I haven't paid them yet and I know my options, just venting and asking "what would you do?"

honestly at the top of the chimney I wouldn't think it would get very hot. Does it look ok? If it didnt look like crap I would let it go.

Does it look ok?

Sure it looks okay now but they just painted it today. I think my question to him will be "how long do you guarantee the paint on the chimney".

It will look like crap shortly. I would make them either strip the paint off or replace the chimney above the roof if they want paid.

It was you or one of the other sweeps on the forum that recommended it not be painted when I installed it. It's on a high 12/12 roof. Not easy for me to maintain. The only way I can get up there is roof jacks.

It was you or one of the other sweeps on the forum that recommended it not be painted when I installed it. It's on a high 12/12 roof. Not easy for me to maintain. The only way I can get up there is roof jacks.
It may have been me. I have never had good results painting stainless especially exterior

Before and after.

Attachments

• P1020600.JPG
    P1020600.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 727
Leave it be, and let it fall off later, which shouldn't take long. I would be worried that they would screw it up more taking the paint off..

Reactions: Wildbilljp
You had shingles painted?

Bare pic is when I installed it. Painted pic is after new shingles.
Oh ok you had it reshingled and they painted the chimney. I though you were saying you had the roof painted. My mistake

I like the new pipe option.

I agree.... It looked good as stainless now it looks like crap. I would be pissed.

Very likely that they did no surface prep and it will crack and fall off the SS in a very short time.

Very likely that they did no surface prep

I saw them near the chimney with a bottle of something. Probably wiped the soot off with a solvent and painted it.

They usually do that to old gas b vents around here just to dress them up a little bit. Wouldn’t have thought they’d paint a nice stainless chimney :eek:

Yep, it won't just fall off. Mine got painted about 8 years ago when the roof was replaced. I was pissed! They painted it a bronze color and yes, it looks like crap now.

It will not all just fall off it will look like crap for years.

Reactions: bholler
If I could get mine to look like the black one permanently, I would paint mine.

But, only reading 1 or 2 accounts of when it stuck I'm trying not to give in.

If you specifically told them not to touch the chimney without speaking you about it first and they did then they need to replace the chimney. Luckily you have not paid them yet, go get an estimate on replacing the painted pipe and subtract that from what you owe them. The painted pipe will never look as good as it did before painting.