Roughneck wood grenade + 8lbs sledgehammer video...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pault123

Mar 2, 2015
UK
Evening guys,

Rather impressed with this little grenade, less than £10 from toolstation, and helped get through some green sappy sycamore logs which had the axe bouncing off. Finished off the splits with the X27. Currently on the southfacing steps to bask in the sun whilst I free some space up in the woodstore over the coming weeks.

20150322_183607.jpg

Never tried the wood grenade. I have long debated getting one just to try and say I had done so, and add to the tool collection for fun, but have held back. Glad it's working well for you.

God bless the brick walk or patio you are splitting on! I'm impressed it's held up to even minor splitting jobs. I'd say at the least I'd be looking for some rubber mats to put down to help cushion them from the banging that happens when splitting.

Wood grenade works awesome. Better than wedges in my opinion. Only complaint I've heard is the tip breaks off sometimes. I do think that the tip could be a bit sharper to get started more easily but that would facilitate it breaking more easily.

to help cushion them from the banging that happens when splitting.
X2 My beautiful patio that looks very similar to yours which held so perfectly for many years...now has a slight 4' diameter depression that pools water after a rain. The one time I brought home the big rounds instead of splitting in the woods was a mistake. Darn. Lesson learned.

I may have to relocate the chopping block to the bin storage area so they will hide any cracks or depressions LOL So far after I've had a sweep up and moved the block its all looking ok, the chopping block is quite hard wood so was hoping it would absorb a lot of the blows.

Would rubber matting under the block lessen the impact the axe has on the wood as less force from the ground opposing the axe?

I would think rubber would cushin the blow and wood would split harder. I can tell the difference from soft ground to hard ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.