Roxul Around Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarc

Oct 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
I had a Voyageur Grand installed last fall. Initially I was unimpressed with the performance, however after reading on this forum I learned a ton. Switching over to dryer wood and installing a block-off plate made a very noticeable difference, but my burning temps were still always relatively low. I think I managed to get above 600F once, but I seem to cruise at around 525F.

Being the heat whore that I am, I started to look for the next mod. I read a few threads on insulating around the insert for external chimneys. I decided to drive 60 miles to the nearest Lowes with Roxul Comfortbat in stock. I bought a bag of R15 and insulated above my block off plate, around the back walls and sides, then thought maybe just lay a blacket on the top.

Here's some pics. Do you think the blanket on top is OK to do, or is it overkill and/or may produce any negative effects.

IMG_2199.JPG
image2.JPG
image1.JPG

I would absolutely not recommend insulating around the insert that tightly without checking with quad first. It could very well cause the stove to overheat.

I was a bit concerned about it being too tight as well. The sides only touch the insert at the front, the back has a 2-3 inch gap. The back is a bit tighter with about an inch gap. I know Quad wouldn't endorse doing this, but I doubt any stove manufacturer would. My basic goal was to shrink the size of my firebox and try to prevent the heat from going to the outside masonry. Maybe I'll thin the insulation layer on the sides and remove the top blanket.

I had a Voyageur Grand installed last fall. Initially I was unimpressed with the performance, however after reading on this forum I learned a ton. Switching over to dryer wood and installing a block-off plate made a very noticeable difference, but my burning temps were still always relatively low. I think I managed to get above 600F once, but I seem to cruise at around 525F.

Being the heat whore that I am, I started to look for the next mod. I read a few threads on insulating around the insert for external chimneys. I decided to drive 60 miles to the nearest Lowes with Roxul Comfortbat in stock. I bought a bag of R15 and insulated above my block off plate, around the back walls and sides, then thought maybe just lay a blacket on the top.

Here's some pics. Do you think the blanket on top is OK to do, or is it overkill and/or may produce any negative effects.

View attachment 183531
View attachment 183530
View attachment 183529
I had basically the same problem after having my Hampton HI300 installed last fall. It kicked out great heat when the outside temps were not too cold (high 30's). However, when the temps plummeted into the 20's the insert seemed to have a hard time keeping the house warm enough without running the heat pump? I have a 28ft exterior chimney with an insulated liner, but no block off plate and I really believe I was losing a lot of heat into 28ft of cold masonry. So I just had a block off place installed with Roxul placed on top. I also have really good seasoned wood ready to go for this year. I am very hopeful that I'll get much more efficient heating this season and hopefully won't have to run my heat pump much at all! Best of luck this burning season with the Roxul insulation!

I have a Hampton hi300 with a block off plate and I am very happy with the performance. This is my 4th season with it and I can tell you it's all in the wood. The first year I thought it was not getting hot enough....last season 2 runaway fires with box glowing. The difference was seasoned wood and quality wood like black birch

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have a Hampton hi300 with a block off plate and I am very happy with the performance. This is my 4th season with it and I can tell you it's all in the wood. The first year I thought it was not getting hot enough....last season 2 runaway fires with box glowing. The difference was seasoned wood and quality wood like black birch

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback! Yes...I love the HI300 and believe it's a real workhorse. I think you're probably right that it's all in the wood. However, since my cord wood was not seasoned enough last year I relied heavily on kiln dried wood and still had problems getting the unit hot enough to maintain adequate heat in the house when the temps got into the low 20's or teens! I have a tall exterior chimney that is situated on a very shady south facing side of the house. So after reading numerous posts on this site about losing heat into the masonry without a block off plate I really believe that was happening to me. I think this year will be much better with the block off plate installed, Roxul on top and now very seasoned cord wood ready to burn. I hope I actually have your problem now...not run away fires of course, but just getting the firebox to cruising temp (550 to 600) and keeping it there for a reasonable length of time without chewing through loads of wood. Thanks again for the feedback!

I relied heavily on kiln dried wood
did you test that wood? Much of that wood is just run through the kiln long enough to kill off any bugs so it can be shipped. Many times it is not dry at all.

yeah, had a friend get some kiln dried wood delivered, was still steaming when they dumped it off

did you test that wood? Much of that wood is just run through the kiln long enough to kill off any bugs so it can be shipped. Many times it is not dry at all.
Hey bholler...yeah, you're probably right. I used kiln dried wood mostly from Kuhns Brothers out of PA. There website says they kiln dry all of their hardwoods to at least 18% moisture content, but I would notice that the splits felt very heavy and dense when banged together? They seemed to burn fine, but would often get heavy coaling from the burns? Anyway, I won't be buying overpriced kiln dried wood this year as I have very seasoned cord wood ready to go now. Thanks for the feedback bholler...it's always appreciated!

Hey bholler...yeah, you're probably right. I used kiln dried wood mostly from Kuhns Brothers out of PA. There website says they kiln dry all of their hardwoods to at least 18% moisture content
I live 15 mins from kuhns bros and they are full of chit. They bring their wood up to the required temp to kill any bugs then it is out of the kiln and on its way. If you get ash from them it is pretty close to dry enough after the heat treatment but oak is still pretty wet. How much were you paying if you dont mind me asking. I only ask because if you go pick it up it is not very expensive at all

I live 15 mins from kuhns bros and they are full of chit. They bring their wood up to the required temp to kill any bugs then it is out of the kiln and on its way. If you get ash from them it is pretty close to dry enough after the heat treatment but oak is still pretty wet. How much were you paying if you dont mind me asking. I only ask because if you go pick it up it is not very expensive at all
Well...I was the stooge buying the kiln dried bundles from the local Giant supermarket for $5.99 a pop. I didn't rely entirely on kiln dried as I have two wood burning neighbors that helped me out with some seasoned wood. I was a typical first year burner last fall/winter and didn't know anything until I started reading this forum. Yeah...I think Kuhns Brothers must be full of it because as I said, you could bang together a couple of their kiln dried splits and it would feel like you were banging two cinder blocks. I would usually mix it with the seasoned stuff my neighbors gave me, but when their generosity ran out I ended burning the Kuhns Brothers stuff exclusively. Anyway, the 3 cords I had delivered last summer has been single stacked, exposed to sun all day and facing the north wind so it's now looking pretty good. Very grey in color, checks throughout each split and very hollow sounding when banged together. In addition, when I recently checked many of the splits with a moisture reader the outside of most read about 17 to 18%. I haven't split any open to check but I think they are much more seasoned then the kiln dried stuff I was burning last year. I have 2 more cords being delivered this weekend so I can get ahead for next year...all thanks to the advice I received on this site. As always...thanks for the feedback bholler!

Well...I was the stooge buying the kiln dried bundles from the local Giant supermarket for $5.99 a pop.
You would have been allot better off getting the compressed logs. They burn really well and are ready to go. But it sounds like you will be in much better shape this year

Status
Not open for further replies.