Rules for Free Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teutonicking

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
Maryland
This is part of a post was in our local craigslist from someone giving away some locust (there may have been some poison ivy on the wood, which I'm guessing is why it wasn't taken). I thought some of you might find it amusing:

I do not know why it is so hard to give away free firewood. All the people that came today did not take any of it. I am not waiting around anymore... so here the rules...
1. Don't show up drunk and leave beer cans in my yard.
2. Don't pee in my yard. (go to the bathroom before you come).
3. Don't be loud and upset my neighbors.
4. Don't block the road or anyones driveway.
5. Pull off in the grass so other traffic can pass by.
6. Do not use vulgar language around any children.
7. Do not yell or spank your children in my yard.
8. Have a muffler on your truck.
9. Do not show up in a truck that cannot handle the load.
10. Bring help. Don't try to be a hero. This wood is heavy.
11. If this wood helps you, give someone else some crap you don't need.
12. If you don't have any crap to give away... throw some cash in the basket at your church on Sunday.
13. I don't want to hear any excuses, don't tell me how heavy it is, don't ask to borrow my chain saw, don't tell me that you would rather have oak, don't play games with me, no one is doing me any favors by taking this wood. My electric heat pump does not run on firewood. You don't have to take it all, Take one log or all of it. It can sit there for ten years if it needs to, if you can use it, then I am happy to give it to someone to help save money this winter on heating bills, burn it in your house, burn it at a campfire, do whatever you want with it. Make a coffee table, carve little wooden animals out of it. Just come take it if you want it.
Do not come any earlier than 8AM, and do not get in a fight with anyone that shows up before you. You guys will need to share. I cannot babysit grown men fighting in my yard.

Wonder if it was for real or if the guy had bad experiences from CL. I would never post my address on Craigslist for the general public for anything free.
I agree.
The rules he posted are common sense, but he feels he has to post them anyway because he knows the people showing up probably don't even have that common sense. Much safer to just not invite those people onto your property.

Sounds like a reality show. Set out some free firewood and see who shows up. Fighting, peeing, yelling.....that's a show!
Honey locust boo boo!

Sounds like a reality show. Set out some free firewood and see who shows up. Fighting, peeing, yelling.....that's a show!
Honey locust boo boo!

I like that idea. They could call it one of several names: "The Real Wood;" "Ask Men," "American Scroungers;" or "What Not to Split." :)

That, boys, is a classic! Obviously the poster has had an issue or two with CL scroungers, no?
Jack, love the Honey Locust Boo-Boo........can't STAND the Honey Boo-Boo. And they wonder why us Americans are treated like idiots.......look at the crap that's on our TV's!!

Some of the stuff I've seen over the years, can't say I disagree. Made me think of this. https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237271_724140757612710_1988990892_o.jpg
1237271_724140757612710_1988990892_o.jpg

That, boys, is a classic! Obviously the poster has had an issue or two with CL scroungers, no?
Jack, love the Honey Locust Boo-Boo........can't STAND the Honey Boo-Boo. And they wonder why us Americans are treated like idiots.......look at the crap that's on our TV's!!
And we're working everyday. They're collecting honey boo boo's money.

Some of the stuff I've seen over the years, can't say I disagree. Made me think of this. https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1237271_724140757612710_1988990892_o.jpg
1237271_724140757612710_1988990892_o.jpg

That's funny. A couple years ago I put some old metal shelving and a few other pieces of scrap metal at the end of my driveway with a plywood 'free' sign on it. About 15 minutes later a truck pulled in, two guys hopped out moving like a NASCAR pit crew, loaded the metal and my sign and took off.

Reactions: n3pro
That's funny. A couple years ago I put some old metal shelving and a few other pieces of scrap metal at the end of my driveway with a plywood 'free' sign on it. About 15 minutes later a truck pulled in, two guys hopped out moving like a NASCAR pit crew, loaded the metal and my sign and took off.

You should try throwing away an old trash can. Its impossible! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.