Running dirty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nicoleg906

Dec 27, 2018
Michigan
Still new, another question. The Castle Serenity is heating our open floor plan fiercely.

We ran on one manual level all day long. It has kept our house at about 68-69 degrees which is “our comfortable”.

The setup: level one manual, damper at open just over half, exhaust fan set to 90 (we bumped it up two clicks cause it was still too hot in the house)

Now how in the world to we get it to run CLEANER???? This pic is after 6-8 hours. What can we do to get the glass and inside to not be covered in soot?

Burning TSC generic pellets. Had a couple bags of Marth, seemed the same.

Attachments

• E21D608F-9E3A-4154-A95B-C643B44F59B4.jpeg
    E21D608F-9E3A-4154-A95B-C643B44F59B4.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 152
Many factors will contribute to dirty glass, but unfortunately this stove seems to get dirty quickly.
1. Quality of Pellets will make a difference. You get what you pay for with this sometimes.
2. Combination of the Amount of air into the stove and the exhaust voltage will play a factor in how clean the stove burns. More air and a higher exhaust voltage will have it burn hotter and cleaner. 90 should be plenty and half open should be too, but you can try opening it more. you want a clean crisp yellow/white flame. Not lazy tall and orange.
3. Stove settings. Burning this stove on may cause it to run a bit less efficient. Try running it on level 2 or 3 with plenty of air/exhaust voltage as a test.

I'm on my second year with the castle serenity and I love a lot of things about it. It cleans very easily and heats well. It is also a bit more hands on than one of the more expensive stoves. Don't be afraid to play around with the settings. There are a lot people on here with them and a lot of great info. Just search around and you will find it. Heres one https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-serenity-castle-pellet-stove.142018/

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
For reference
587A9AD3-AA13-4D44-A456-7436482E9DC3.png

I'm not familiar with those pellets, so I do not know what they are made of. I am in the far west area of Oregon. We have a lot of evergreen trees here, mainly fir. I tried a couple bags of several brands when I first bought my stoves. I found that 100% douglas fir, but I think any evergreen or softwood pellet, works best for me. This is just my opinion of course, but I feel that hardwood pellets are too inconsistent with the amounts of lignin at any given time of year, which is the natural glue that holds the pellets together. Softwoods are more consistent all year round IMO. If you have access to maybe 5 or 6 bags of quality softwood pellets, maybe give them a try? If you current pellets are 100% softwood, I dont know what to tell you. Though I am curious what elevation you are at?
The Serenity stove will dirty the glass rather quickly, but a moist paper towel to clean the glass followed with a dry one to dry it, only ads an extra 30 seconds to each shutdown and start up.