Russo wood/coal - should i buy it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FanMan

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2012
CT stix & upstate NY
So I we at the local junk shop and found an unused model 2 wood/coal stove, looks to be in perfect condition, everything seems to be there including the manuals. They're asking $350.

This would be for our cabin which currently has an inefficient old "Early Times" stove in the living room, which this would replace, and an antique "Daisy" coal stove in the bedroom, so we're no strangers to burning coal.

What say you? Worth buying?

Tried to attach pix but my phone won't let me.

So I we at the local junk shop and found an unused model 2 wood/coal stove, looks to be in perfect condition, everything seems to be there including the manuals. They're asking $350.

This would be for our cabin which currently has an inefficient old "Early Times" stove in the living room, which this would replace, and an antique "Daisy" coal stove in the bedroom, so we're no strangers to burning coal.

What say you? Worth buying?

Tried to attach pix but my phone won't let me.
A wood coal combo isn't going to be an efficient wood stove at all. Btw a coal stove (or woodstove for that matter) in a bedroom is not allowed and honestly would scare the crap out of me.

as far as the russo if it hasn't been used buy it and replace the livingroom stove (early times) depending on how small the cabin is it might heat the whole thing so you wouldn't have to run the any stove in a bedroom is illegal for good reason

As a former Russo #2 Combo owner I would pass on it. You can burn wood in it, but it's not very efficient at all so a lot of the heat just goes right up the flue. The house I'm in now had one in the basement and I used it until I could afford to replace it. It worked okay but it's not intended as a wood burner despite it being labeled as a combo. For $350 or so you can probably find a used dedicated wood stove if you keep looking.

The Russo does not sound like it would be a major improvement over the Early Times stove. If the goal is to significantly improve efficiency so that less wood is consumed, then keep looking or consider getting an EPA stove for around $1000.

If you plan on burning any coal at all (if only in the coldest part of winter) then you are already on your way to saving on wood.

Just another perspective.

If you plan on burning any coal at all (if only in the coldest part of winter) then you are already on your way to saving on wood.

Just another perspective.
Yes absolutely if the plan is to burn coal it changes things

Thanks all... based on the comments I think I will pass and wait for a better wood stove. I have all the wood I need for free, the only advantage of coal for me would be the longer unattended burn time.

How is that different, functionally or legally, from a one room cabin with a wood stove?

Well legally it would depend upon the size of the cabin how well sealed it was etc. Functionally if it was a good wood stove in good repair with a proper venting system maintained correctly it wouldn't bother me much either way. An antique coal stove that was far from tight even when new burning coal which produces lots of co through the whole burn would scare the crap out of me