safe distance for comforter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptzbrg

Nov 19, 2009
indiana
I have an older comforter cast iron wood stove...in a pole barn i have it sitting in corner and have lined corner with pole barn 21 gauge also...question is how far is safe to place comforter away from the metal wall..metal does have osb board behind it. thanks

If you don't have at least a 1" air gap behind your steel, & your stove
doesn't have a rating plate to specify the clearance from combustibles,
You have to be 36" away from the OSB.
If you have the air space, I believe you can bring the stove to 12" from the OSB.
NFPA-211 is posted in here. Take a look at it.

thanks Bob so maybe I should just fir out my metal...at least an inch with some other kind of metal I assume like strut or something??? thanks

ptzbrg said:
thanks Bob so maybe I should just fir out my metal...at least an inch with some other kind of metal I assume like strut or something??? thanks

Usually, we tell folks to lay steel 2x4s on the flat. That will give you 1-1/2 inches from the wall.
You will also have to keep a minimum 1" air gap top & bottom to allow for convection air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.