Safe to burn MDF?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Subject says it all.

MDF contains more glue than plywood or OSB so no way is it a good idea. If you have a cat stove it will ruin your catalyst.

How do they keep MDF out of pellets, since it's used widely to make furniture.

I've burned small odds & ends, in my gasifier. Would be curious on the gasses it releases, then the combustion temps of those gasses. Can't see there being much nasties left after 2000°.

I've burned small odds & ends, in my gasifier. Would be curious on the gasses it releases, then the combustion temps of those gasses. Can't see there being much nasties left after 2000°.

As far as I've been able to find, the glues used are formaldehyde based, which at low temperatures allowing partial combustion can have some nasty by-products. However, it's an organic substance like wood is, so it seems at high temperatures, you just get CO2 and water vapor.

I've burned a few small scraps of various engineered woods in my non-catalytic wood stove, but only on reloads, and I stick it in the back after raking the coals forward, with the goal of it being the last to catch and its vapors circulating forward through the heat of the rest of the wood burning to ensure complete combustion.

I would definitely not burn it as the primary fuel, or even a significant part of a load, since I can't entirely control smouldering at the start of each load.

Is there any issue with burning materials like this (including pallets made from treated wood) that the by-products of combustion are bad for the boiler? e.g. corrosive. I seem to remember my installer warning me about that (including things like coloured, shiny, printed magazines)

Safe for you not so safe for the environment. MDF typically has to be landfilled. Commercial wood fired power plants generally can not get permitted to burn MDF due to some potential nasty byproducts that form.

How do they keep MDF out of pellets, since it's used widely to make furniture.
Has anyone ever examined random pellet brands microscopically to see what's in them?

Status
Not open for further replies.