Saw Showed up Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Got home from lunch to see a saw was delivered. I've mentioned before I don't buy my saws from box stores or hand held power equipment dealers. I buy from race saw builders or from people I know on arboristsite. You'll normally pay half or less for a saw that is worlds better than what you can pull from a box. I got a Eric Copsey 357XP wood ported today. WOW! does that baby run. And its not just all out speed its how well they come to life when you pull the cord and idle strong and really take on RPMs. Years ago somebody said at a GTG "once you run a ported saw you can never go back to stock" and they were right!
I'm sure it would smoke a 372. I won't devulge the price but will say I paid roughly a 3rd the price of a new 357XP.

Finished the third cord of big red and white oak today with the $94 Chinese saw. I know how to sharpen a chain and tune a saw. I ain't looking back. :lol:

wkpoor said:
Got home from lunch to see a saw was delivered. I've mentioned before I don't buy my saws from box stores or hand held power equipment dealers. I buy from race saw builders or from people I know on arboristsite. You'll normally pay half or less for a saw that is worlds better than what you can pull from a box. I got a Eric Copsey 357XP wood ported today. WOW! does that baby run. And its not just all out speed its how well they come to life when you pull the cord and idle strong and really take on RPMs. Years ago somebody said at a GTG "once you run a ported saw you can never go back to stock" and they were right!
I'm sure it would smoke a 372. I won't devulge the price but will say I paid roughly a 3rd the price of a new 357XP.

So. . . $250?

Very cool wp
Sounds like it wants to eat.
Pictures? close up of the muffler maybe? :)

So. . . $250?
Very very close.

Pictures? close up of the muffler maybe?
I'll try to get some on. The story is this saw got smashed and now sports some JRed plastic. Everytime I get one of these they look like they had a real hard life somewhere else but I'm not buying them for looks. The beauty of a woods ported saw is up to 40% more power out of a small light weight saw that has incredible throttle response. And they usually start much easier too even though it takes a good strong quick pull to turn them over. I haven't checked compression but if its like his other saws it should be in the 210 range. No pump gas for this baby. No load rpm should be in the 15-16K range. I bought this for cutting firewood.

MasterMech said:
BrotherBart said:
Finished the third cord of big red and white oak today with the $94 Chinese saw. I know how to sharpen a chain and tune a saw. I ain't looking back. :lol:

Hey BB! You got dat "sumbitch" (see other thread, haha) ported and muffler modded yet? :lol:

Nope. Just hanging on waiting for it to blow up.

I bought an 038 many moon and a day ago from the owner of my saw shop. It was one of his own project saws. It was tweeked and peeked. I wanted a light powerhouse for a skidder saw. Short bar and lots of power and easy on/off the skidder.
Ran like a ***** ape under ideal gas/air/temp conditions. I didn't own that saw long. Too fussy! When I need to cut ,, I NEED to cut. Stock saws are the way to go for reliability. Racing saws are all or nothing.

finalLEE said:
I bought an 038 many moon and a day ago from the owner of my saw shop. It was one of his own project saws. It was tweeked and peeked. I wanted a light powerhouse for a skidder saw. Short bar and lots of power and easy on/off the skidder.
Ran like a ***** ape under ideal gas/air/temp conditions. I didn't own that saw long. Too fussy! When I need to cut ,, I NEED to cut. Stock saws are the way to go for reliability. Racing saws are all or nothing.
All my woods ported saws run way better tan stock. Nothing temperamental about them. They start and idle perfect and seem to require less tuning or none at all for firewood cutting purposes. This one I just got straight out of the box ran perfect and had just a light 4 cycle on the top end which is perfect. After its shut off for about 10mins, which is the time span many saws don't know what they need to fire back up, the ported saws start on a singe pull everytime. The trick is go with proven mapping in port work. When someone finds whats works they sometimes will coin a phrase like PowerPorted which belongs to Dan Henry. A Dan Henry PP saw is just the right mix of power and daily reliability. My 346XP has never let me down in the 5yrs I've owned it and it runs 40% over stock. Pulls a full comp 3/8 square grind chisel chain with unbelievable power.

Status
Not open for further replies.