Saying good bye to your best friend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Since I posted in this thread, my boxer passed. I feel the pain from you guys and I very much miss the sound of toenails on the floor.
He was a purebred that we had to wait a year for,,,and we entertained the idea of a rescue dog. Too bad that they will not even take an application if you have kids under the age of 5.

Enjoy that pup!!!!

I am so sorry when I read post like these. Every one of us who's ever given ourselves over to a pet understands the depth of loss.

We sent mighty Rex to the Happy Hunting Ground in October. His drivetrain was beginning to fail and he'd occasionally topple over. The staircase was an increasing challenge for him and when he could no longer get into the car to go for a ride I knew it was "time". We knew another winter wasn't in the cards. I called a nice guy who's done landscaping for us and he dug the grave. We looked at the hole for a couple of weeks and I made the call. Dr. Death and his able assistant came to the house and on a perfectly beautiful day he arrived shortly after noontime. Rex greeted them with his customary "Mohawk" and booming bark, then wandered off to lift his leg. ;) He settled down on his shroud, I gave him a ruff rub and he just drifted off into the big sleep. The 4 of us carried him to the grave and put him in. We buried him with a tennis ball and the marrow bone he'd been working on. It was a very sad day, but it was a fitting end for such a loyal and charming companion. The helpmeet voiced concern that we'd done it too soon. The vet. said, "better a week too early than a day too late".

Replacement idiot (-2yrs., "golden boy", 70lbs., with a full cargo of "stupid") is finally settling down and learning how to "groove" in the household. He's a bundle of energy and requires regular "beatings" and lots of supervision, but he's got all the basic ingredients and will work out just fine. He's very different than Rex, but no less fun.

Both came from the AWS; we always take on someone else's "reject". ;)
IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0167.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to say goodbye to one of my best on Monday . Face. He was an awesome hunter. In almost 16 years he never caused us a day of aggravation all the way to the end. Give them a good life and a good death. Still very hard.

020.JPG

Puppies are a lot of work, but so much fun. Our 'puppy' Holley is about 14 months now. We got her from a rescue after losing our dog and a cat that were both 15 years old and had 'grown up' with our kids. Pics when we got Holley and 1yr
old.
.image.jpeg

the only cure for the loss of a good friend is the help of another............new pup !

Both of our fur kids have gone since their picture was taken. LP the 12 yr old shepherd mix developed cancer last January and Star the 13 yr old Lab had a stroke.

We adopted a yr. old Chocolate lab that needed a new home last spring and a month ago a 2 yr.old Yorkie adopted us after spending 3 weeks in the woods behind us. We were able to locate his former owner that had to give him up, He was at the "new" owner's for an hour and ran off. They never made an effort to find him.

All I can say is give yourself some time and don't try to replace your lost friend, but open your heart to a new one. Shelters are full of great pets that NEED love.

Sorry for your loss.;sick

I too have known the pain from loosing your best friend. I grew up with a beagle from the age of 6 and sadly, made the decision to put him down when I was 17. Although he never went to a vet in his life, it was apparent he suffered from some type of cancer and developed arthritis in his hips.

I can defiantly say adding another dog into the family most certainly helps with the pain and loss. Although it only took me another 6 years, my now wife an I are the proud owners of an adopted pitbull and could not be happier. It amazes me how an entirely different species is able to be such an amazing companion.

My condolences to you and your lost but never forgotten friend.

Last edited:
iphone 4s pics 8-16-15 225.JPG IMG_1197.JPG
Well I hate to be the one that has to continue this thread, but my Yeehaw is now gone, best dam half feral cat friend I ever had, didn't even like cats until I got her. I wish I could write more but its so upsetting right now.

Reactions: vinny11950
View attachment 182969 View attachment 182970
Well I hate to be the one that has to continue this thread, but my Yeehaw is now gone, best dam half feral cat friend I ever had, didn't even like cats until I got her. I wish I could write more but its so upsetting right now.

Big snuffles from Dixie & Matisse coming your way, Kenny.

Tough to lose them...

They sure know how to creep into your heart don't they.
Been their done that got the tear stains to prove it

Sorry for your loss Kenny. Cats can be very special friends. I have one that follows me like a dog.

Sorry to hear this Kenny.

View attachment 182969 View attachment 182970

What a beautiful soul! I am so sorry. I did bond with one cat (wasn't a cat person either) and she took me hook, line and sinker. I wish you peace and the future comfort her memories will give you. I know there's precious little comfort today...

Thank you for such kind words, I do miss her although the pain / shock of it is now bearable, the things I miss the most is when I get home from work, she always waited for me on the porch or retaining wall along the driveway, always ran right to the truck to greet me. The other one is at night, I miss that lump in the middle of the bed, but I could easily put a firewood split there.
I honestly think after such a good cat experience that I will end up with another, I would rather have a dog but I'm not home enough and it wouldn't be fair, but another cat seems like a good option, somewhere there's one sitting in a cage that is going to hit the cat lottery.

Last edited:
Thank you for such kind words, I do miss her although the pain / shock of it is now bearable, the things I miss the most is when I get home from work, she always waited for me on the porch or retaining wall along the driveway, always ran right to the truck to greet me. The other one is at night, I miss that lump in the middle of the bed, but I could easily put a sand bag there.
I honestly think after such a good cat experience that I will end up with another, I would rather have a dog but I'm not home enough and it wouldn't be fair, but another cat seems like a good option, somewhere there's one sitting in a cage that is going to hit the cat lottery.

Folks who have lost a good friend like you know exactly what you are talking about Kenny.

I love the last line . . . because it is so true . . . your new friend will never replace Yeehaw since they all have their own quirks and personality, but it will give you more new memories.

Thanks Jake, guys at my firehouse were so bummed out to, they remebered her from a little kitten when I use to have to feed her with a eye dropper, a few of the members would take turns coming over to feedin her and playing with her when I would go away for storm duty at work, they even made a regret of passing at our last business meeting, she was in a way the firehouse's cat, on a side note I use to take her snow plowing, she use to stand on her hind legs with her paws on the dash carefully watching like it was her business, I hope the new one likes doing that stuff

Thanks Jake, guys at my firehouse were so bummed out to, they remebered her from a little kitten when I use to have to feed her with a eye dropper, a few of the members would take turns coming over to feedin her and playing with her when I would go away for storm duty at work, they even made a regret of passing at our last business meeting, she was in a way the firehouse's cat, on a side note I use to take her snow plowing, she use to stand on her hind legs with her paws on the dash carefully watching like it was her business, I hope the new one likes doing that stuff

This is very moving stuff. She could have NEVER had such a great life without you. Well done, sir.

So many touching comments here, I have little to add except that we have suffered the same losses, both cats and dogs, many more than I care to think about over the years. The latest being Harley, our black cat so named for my motorcycle. So my sincerest sympathies to all.

Harley is gone, but Angel and Stormy are now with us, from our local shelter just two weeks ago.

A & S.jpg

Our Shepard mix Gracie keeps us going too, but I should have named her "Frisbee";)

Oh, and Kenny, your Yeehaw reminds me so much of the first cat I had as an adult, a calico with remarkably similar markings. My condolences.

Attachments

• A & S.jpg
    A & S.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 203
I did bond with one cat (wasn't a cat person either) and she took me hook, line and sinker.
I've known several "non-cat" persons that didn't stay that way for long! They just seem to have a way...

image.jpeg
It's been 4 weeks since Yeehaw had been gone, yesterday, while out I ran into one that was being given away, when I saw him in the box, I just knew this is the one... Everyone meet Rawr, he meows like crazy hence the name but 12hrs later we are meshing and he's becoming a Dads cat.

View attachment 183680
It's been 4 weeks since Yeehaw had been gone, yesterday, while out I ran into one that was being given away, when I saw him in the box, I just knew this is the one... Everyone meet Rawr, he meows like crazy hence the name but 12hrs later we are meshing and he's becoming a Dads cat.
Beautiful kitten. Congratulations. I know it was hard to replace Yeehaw, but Rawr looks like a sweet kitten. Our Stormy (the gray one) used to "rawr" over his food at first, but got over that.

Good days ahead for all of you! The accidental finds usually are the best. All of our animals have been foundlings or rescue. And they tend to choose you, don't they?

Post a few more pics as he grows up. I never took my cats to my fire station, but it sounds like a good way to get him socialized with others. Plus, being all-volunteer, we didn't stay at the station long after an incident.

Take care.

Last edited:
This week there is a deafening silence in our home.

Our Newf had been slowing down a lot especially this past summer - walks were getting shorter - stopping to rest for a few minutes especially on the warmer days. We thought it was mostly her arthritis, some shoulder joint pain from her past surgery, other signs of aging, and the heat was not helping much either. She still loved her walks.

Last week she went from taking one of her rest stops on the walk one day, to walking a bit funny the next day, to not being able to stand up the next - her back legs gave out on her on Friday morning. It happened almost overnight. I had to lift her into my truck - the vet technicians had to carry her into the building with a couple of slings. The exam uncovered spinal / neurological damage. It had been progressing for a while, but she hid her pain so well that we were clueless until she could not hide it any more. She was not going to be able to walk again.

The prospect of surgery on her spine would have been torture for her - she would try to drag herself across the street if she had to, just to be within a few feet of her people.

Even though we knew she was getting tired, and deep down we knew this was coming one day, we didn't expect to be there making that awful decision that day. We said goodbye at her side, watched her go to sleep, and went home in agony.

Aspen was our "mama dog". She helped us get through losing our golden (Bear) a little over 4 years ago, she stepped in to help fill a big hole in our hearts, she adored our son ("her" little boy), and she watched over her family every day. She adopted me and became my new shadow.

This little fur-ball wrapped herself around our hearts on day 1, almost 9 years ago, and now in an instant she is gone.

aspen pup.JPG

My better half says that serious look was her way of showing us that she knew she had a job to do - taking care of us. She did it well.

Along the morning walk, there is a contractor's shop - she decided when she was just a pup that she would stop there and look in the door until they saw here and let her in. She walked around from one guy to another letting them pet her, then we were on our way. She 'adopted" them that day, and from that day on, it was a regular stop. If we missed a day, they would worry. We stopped there yesterday to let them know she would not be coming by any more. Bunch of big guys, tough as nails - a couple of them had to leave the garage - the boss broke down and cried.

They say that writing about a heart wrenching experience is a good way to help one deal with grief. Even though I have not met anyone here personally, there are kindred spirits on this forum. You all know the pain and how unbearable it can be when you suffer a loss like this. Thank you for letting me share our story here. As my wife says, "it's gonna suck until it doesn't suck". To everyone here who lost a family member and a friend, our hearts ache for you as well....

I'm so sorry. We've been through this several times now and never seems to get easier, yet we always manage to find room for another. Your story was very well told (as I wipe my eyes). Your story about the shop stop was very familiar. Our dog loves everyone and always wants to stop at any neighbor's place that she knows.

Our best to you and your family.