Scan Anderson 10 - Changing the Vermeculite Panels to Soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WDSmith485

Dec 28, 2013
New Hampshire
Some cast Iron stoves have Soapstone lining inside (i.e Hearthstone) - Could I replace the Vermiculite panels in my Scan Anderson 10 Vermiculite internal panels with soapstone (I already have soapstone panels on the outside)?

Some cast Iron stoves have Soapstone lining inside (i.e Hearthstone) - Could I replace the Vermiculite panels in my Scan Anderson 10 Vermiculite internal panels with soapstone (I already have soapstone panels on the outside)?
Sorry I can't answer the question but are you having a hard time getting replacement panels? It takes so long from the dealer here in Portland that I gave up and will never deal with them again. I really like my Scan but getting parts is a pain. Last year it took 4 months to get an upper baffle. I ordered two because I had a similar wait time when my lower baffle cracked a few years earlier.

Nice to see another Scan A10 user :) love mine for the unbeatable fire view and modern-but-not-too-modern look.

Soapstone? I can see it for the sides but not sure I’d trust it for the baffle. I’d be worried about it cracking randomly. Why are you wondering about using it inside the firebox? The skamol does a fine job...

That would most likely degrade its performance and affect it's EPA certification.