Sealing off exterior chimney cleanout, is it a good idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout_1969

Sep 29, 2010
VA
I observed my stove pulling some air through the cast iron cleanout door on my exterior chimney.

It would seem that sealing this off would help keep the flue hotter and less likely to create creosote.

I have tried a piece of oversized aluminum foil so far.

Is sealing this off a good idea?

If so, what are some methods?

I used silicone caulk. And yes it made a major difference in draft and creosote. Since then I have put a liner in that chimney. To make a gasket of it, run a small bead on the face of the frame and leave the door open until it dries.

Thanks BB. I will improvise for now and wait for warmer weather :) or tent/insulate the area so the silicone will stick.;)

You can use Mortite caulk as a temporary sealant for this season. It is workable in the cold. Use the method BB described.

Since I assume you want to open this from time to time, I'd at first try just taking a piece of fiberglass insulation (just a very thin sheet of it) and sticking it in the door and closing it in so that it is closed into the door seal. The stuff won't burn, is cheap, and can be thrown out if it doesn't work or you screw it up while cleaning, or it's dirty, etc.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.