Seasoned Wood from Lowe’s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
A couple of weeks ago, I bought 5 bundles of "seasoned" wood at Lowe's for the stove that's to be installed next week. I got a moisture meter yesterday and split open one of the splits in one of the bundles. Most of the readings I had taken on the ends of the wood or on the outside of the splits indicated 6 to 12% moisture. The readings taken on the interior surface of the one I split open were 23% to Over Limit (above 42%).

As I've said before, this stuff must have been seasoned with salt and pepper.

I know you may be upset . Look at the wood carefully if it is truly seasoned it will be somewhat blackish on the ends and split ( cracks in the end ) If it is fresh it is white yellowish and may or may not have cracks . If it is black or dark its is definately seasoned unless it was seasoned inside then it could be still be light colored ( which I doubt it was seasoned insided ). Now your moisture is probably from 2 things ! your bundles were probably wrapped in plastic , Not cool it traps moisture , and 2 the stack is probably outside so you are talking snow melting etc . Dont really fret this is what I call surface moisture it will dry in a house ussually in a few weeks . If it was sap moisture it takes a lot longer for it to dry in your home .
The big key is what does it look like on the end of the splits .

Curious coincidence...you're the only person to respond. And the label says the wood is from Wisconsin. Hmmmm...

(Just kidding, but it is from Wisconsin. Thanks for the advice. I'll check the ends.)

DanCorcoran said:
Curious coincidence...you're the only person to respond. And the label says the wood is from Wisconsin. Hmmmm...

(Just kidding, but it is from Wisconsin. Thanks for the advice. I'll check the ends.)

Its no coincidence ;-) all the crummy, wet, bug infested wood in wisconsin is designated to be sold to lowes in where are you at oh ya Virginia yah Virginia.

Not from Wisconsin but I am near enough and it's a scarey place with big Packers signs all over not even the wood is safe.

4 years ago I bought a cubic meter of "seasoned" firewood on a pallet from a hardware store called Rona. It too was wet both inside and outside. The price was on the high side too.

Status
Not open for further replies.