Secondaries question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
So this is my 2nd heating season with my Summers heat stove. She really seems to kick out the heat but im not sure im running her right. Attached is a video of the stove cruising. The stove top is between 680° and 710°. 18" up the single wall it is 450° surface temp. She is dialed all the way back and has been running like this for about 45 minutes. I see threads about slow rolling secondary flames but mine seem more like flame throwers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How long is the stove able to hold those temps? My stove ran just like that, but would run through the wood. Added a damper and it's much better. Slow, rolling flames and the burn is longer.

That are some raging secondaries. I'm thinking your wood is correctly seasoned and as mentioned you may benefit from a damper. Describe your chimney?

450º surface temp on the flue is too hot. That's about 8-900F inside. How quickly are you closing down the air and at what flue temp are you doing this? What is the flue system on the stove?

450º surface temp on the flue is too hot. That's about 8-900F inside. How quickly are you closing down the air and at what flue temp are you doing this? What is the flue system on the stove?
Those temps are after it has been shutdown all the way for 45 minutes. I probably close off the air too soon more than too late. I usually close it too soon and have to re open the air as i put out the fire or put it back to smouldering over coals.
That are some raging secondaries. I'm thinking your wood is correctly seasoned and as mentioned you may benefit from a damper. Describe your chimney?
Chimney is about 18' with 2 45 in single wall and 90 thimble through the wall. Wood is ash around 20% M.C.
How long is the stove able to hold those temps? My stove ran just like that, but would run through the wood. Added a damper and it's much better. Slow, rolling flames and the burn is longer.
Usually runs like that for the first 3 hours then slowly drops off. By 6am i have coals and stove top is around 200° and i reload and start all over i go through 2 loads sometimes 3 in a 24hr period depending on outside temps.

Outdoor temp was 28 last night.

This what i have in the morning
5a180323cbd444c56f4a46add3348857.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
i have the smaller version of your stove, those look like the same secondaries and close to the same temps i see as well, remember those magnetic thermometers can be way off, the pic in my avatar is a secondary burn

i have the smaller version of your stove, those look like the same secondaries and close to the same temps i see as well, remember those magnetic thermometers can be way off, the pic in my avatar is a secondary burn
Okay, I know of a few other members that have a couple of NC 30's and run about the same but being new to the stove I just wanted to double check with others. Those temps were taken with my IR gun. That seems to be within a few degrees of other thermometers in the house. So your stove doesn't look much different with secondary burn, last year in the sub zero temps I heard the stove whistling when it was drafting really well.

I will add those splits were a little smaller than I usually run. Attached is what my usual load looks like but last night I had a bunch of smaller stuff that might have contributed to the higher temps. The splits in the picture are about 6" across at the widest part.

Attachments

• 20181204_200454.jpg
    20181204_200454.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
You are a messy tender, lol.
Haha I'll admit it, I am. The sad part is I just cleaned that ledge night before last. I usually clean out the old ashes every night and leave some with the hot coals and get the ledge at the same time.

I guess that's what it's there for!