Secondary tubes, slight glow red

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Had a slight glow in the middle of my secondary tubes this evening about 20 minutes after lighting the stove. I’ve attached a photo. I just happened to look at the stove at the right angle and catch it. I opened the door and they cooled down. Burning very dry red oak. Bad or normal? At the time, stove top was around 500 with the fan on

B1885EF9-9677-4A98-9A65-F4DC8C60F48A.jpeg

Reactions: JimBear
It's hot, the firebox is over 1200º so sometimes tubes will start to glow a little. Was the air turned all the way down?

Almost all the way, about 1/4 inch open.
Where is the temp being measured? I am trying to recall if this insert has a convection lid covering the stovetop?

Almost all the way, about 1/4 inch open.
With that dry oak do you still get smoke out the chimney at 1/4 inch open? I cant go 1/4 inch or much less than 1/2 without a good smoke trail out chimney.

I can shut down to 10% no problem with oak. It's probably just not dry enough if you're getting smoke. Oak can seem perfectly dry and sneaky be 25%.

My tubes glow a little when I'm at 650 STT cruising. Pretty normal to me.