See through fireplace Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tstan208

Nov 12, 2020
Idaho
I have a see-through fireplace and would like to install a double-sided insert or a double-sided wood stove. Does anyone have any suggestions?

IMG_9035.jpg

Are you open to closing off one of the sides and putting an insert in there? There are very few double sided units out there. None have the same efficiency’s. Too much glass.

If it is deep enough and the flue is large enough to accommodate 2 liners maybe install 2 inserts back to back? Otherwise, there are not a lot of selections sold in the US. More available in Europe. An insert could be installed and a perforated metal screen could be installed on the backside opening to recoup some heat into the room.

Are you open to closing off one of the sides and putting an insert in there? There are very few double sided units out there. None have the same efficiency’s. Too much glass.

No..We want to keep both sides open. I have not found a double-sided insert. If you know of any please post the information. Thanks.

I considered this a few years back, but it would be very difficult to install into a pre-existing fireplace (as opposed to new home construction)
There is a freestanding and fireplace insert/fireplace version. I agree, it does seem to be a new construction thing and not really meant for existing masonry fireplaces.