Seeking Advise! Stove masters HELP!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaUibel

Aug 4, 2014
Frankford, Delaware
Hi all, my husband and I purchased what we believe to be a Fisher Papa Bear. This winter will be our second winter heating our whole house with it and the discussion has come up on whether or not to buy a blower for the wood stove. I have no idea where to start or if that would even help so any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Amanda

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. We have a Fisher forum with folks that can help you. I'll move the post to there.

Welcome to the forum. What is your problem? Are you not getting the heat out from the room the stove is in? Is the stove not enough to heat the house? Does the stove get too hot? The more info we get the better will be the recommendation we can give you.

The biggest problem is the fact that its 80+ degrees in the room that the stoves is in and in the other rooms its about 60. Our house is an older farm house and is rather cut up so the heat tends to stay in the dining room where the stove is. Last year we used the fan for our HVAC system and that worked a bit but did not get the house to a comfortable temp. So I bought the little fan for the corner of the door way... I am just really trying to figure out a good way to circulate the heat around at least the first floor of the home.

Lots of us solve that problem by putting a small fan on the floor in the door of the stove room blowing the colder floor level air into the stove room. The warm air travels out of the room to replace the colder air displaced from the rest of the house.

Works really well. The first instinct is to try to blow the warm air out into the house. But the opposite is the real answer.

For many years I had one of those fans up in the corner of the doorway. After folks here educated me, it is on a shelf in the garage.

Ok, a stove blower may help a little bit with that but what most members here found works much better is putting a small desktop fan on the floor at the other end of the corridor (direct sight to the stove room) blowing cold air towards the stove room. That will generate a convective loop pulling the warm air out of that room. I would try that first. If you want to post a floorplan we could give you some recommendations where the place the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.