Seeking VC Dauntless (Defiant) part

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maine Bear

Sep 6, 2019
Manchester, NH
Hello,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but you all seem like you know Defiants. The Defiant (at least model #1945) has a part called an "air manifold". It is attached to the back of the front face, right above the door. I believe it is sheet metal. Do any of you know what purpose it serves? I'm trying to replicate the same part for a VC Dauntless, but I can't find anyone with any knowledge of that model. Knowing what its supposed to do will be very helpful.
Thanks.

Moved to new thread for better visibility. Not sure but this sounds like an airwash diverter.

OK, that makes sense because the air vents are right there on either side at the top, forward corner. Should the manifold direct incoming fresh air over the full width of the closed glass doors, or only down the left and right front corners?

Does the Dauntless have glass doors? I thought this was more of a fireplace.

Thanks, Begreen,

Yes, the Dauntless has glass doors that can be tucked behind the swing-out side wings, so you're left with an open fireplace. It's a beautiful little stove that I had never heard of before finding one on CL.

Attachments

• wood stove.jpg
    wood stove.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 175
I just came across your post from a few years ago. Have you been using that old VC Dauntless? I recently located one, that I might install, mainly for decorative purpose rather then serious heat, in a small seasonal cottage. How do you like yours? Do you get at least a little heat off of it? Are there any parts of the stove that you have found to be problems areas that I should watch for? Any parts that tend to crack? Thanks Fred

I just came across your post from a few years ago. Have you been using that old VC Dauntless? I recently located one, that I might install, mainly for decorative purpose rather then serious heat, in a small seasonal cottage. How do you like yours? Do you get at least a little heat off of it? Are there any parts of the stove that you have found to be problems areas that I should watch for? Any parts that tend to crack? Thanks Fred
Hi Fred,

I haven't checked the forum in quite a while, so I just found your question. I have the stove in a seasonal cottage (summer mostly) so I haven't fired it up yet, mostly because I don't know if the piece that is missing could cause damage. Are you using your stove? Any chance you could check out the air manifold on your stove? If I had a pic or two, I could try to fabricate a new one.