Selkirk Sentinel CF long term quality

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

keever86

Mar 2, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I'm working towards doing my first woodstove installation. My plan was to work with Selkirk Sentinel CF chimney components from Home Hardware. However, upon talking to an installer I was hoping to have do the WETT inspection, he advised against Selkirk and suggested ICC instead. He cited problems with Selkirk using a type of insulation that becomes caustic when it takes on moisture, which he suggested was inevitable, leading to corrosion from the inside out.

I've tried searching for reports of this online, including here on the forum, but have not seen anything of the sort.

The chimney would end up being double the cost if I went with ICC, and I'm trying hard to keep the costs down on this.

He also sells the ICC product, which may mean nothing, but at least raises some small warning bells for me.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of these alleged problems with Selkirk Sentinel CF chimneys?

I also prefer ICC Excel. It's a good-quality chimney pipe with better insulation. In between would be DuraVent's DuraTech if that is available.

I also prefer ICC Excel. It's a good-quality chimney pipe with better insulation. In between would be DuraVent's DuraTech if that is available.
I also have heard ICC is a better chimney, however have you experienced any problems with Selkirk that makes you prefer ICC (particularly the problem that I mentioned)? Or do you just prefer it for other reasons?

I don't want to go with Selkirk just to cut costs if it's going to mean problems in the end. But if Selkirk will perform just fine, last long, and not be a safety concern, I don't want to double my costs going to ICC just because it will be better.

Last edited:
I have not seen their Sentinel CF product. Is it only sold in Canada? I have used and removed their Metalbestos chimney systems. I didn't like the seam on that pipe, it's prone to leaks, and I am not a fan of locking bands. It looks like the Sentinel has a welded seam which is better. Value line chimney products usually cut corners to save the consumer money. The chimney is infrastructure. It's not a place where I am comfortable taking chances. I want it to last and I want it to protect the house in the event of a chimney fire. My preference for the better line of chimney pipe is not just with Selkirk, I'm not fond of DuraPlus chimney either, but like DuraTech. Does Selkirk sell UltraTemp in Canada? That is their premium line.

All said, I am sure the Sentinel pipe will work, but I can understand why the installer prefers ICC. Another good chimney brand in Canada is Ventis. Perhaps that would be more affordable?

... Is it only sold in Canada? ... Does Selkirk sell UltraTemp in Canada? That is their premium line.

All said, I am sure the Sentinel pipe will work, but I can understand why the installer prefers ICC. Another good chimney brand in Canada is Ventis. Perhaps that would be more affordable?
Thank you for the thoughts begreen.

Yes, I believe Sentinel CF is a Canada specific line from Selkirk. It seems they do sell UltraTemp in Canada, but I'd have to find a supplier. I think Ventis is also available here, but would have to find a supplier for them as well.

So far I’m very happy with my Ventis chimney. From what I know it’s similarly constructed to ICC which is also high quality.

My Ventis setup went up easily with great fit and finish. Also the performance is great.

I have not seen their Sentinel CF product. Is it only sold in Canada? I have used and removed their Metalbestos chimney systems. I didn't like the seam on that pipe, it's prone to leaks, and I am not a fan of locking bands. It looks like the Sentinel has a welded seam which is better. Value line chimney products usually cut corners to save the consumer money. The chimney is infrastructure. It's not a place where I am comfortable taking chances. I want it to last and I want it to protect the house in the event of a chimney fire. My preference for the better line of chimney pipe is not just with Selkirk, I'm not fond of DuraPlus chimney either, but like DuraTech. Does Selkirk sell UltraTemp in Canada? That is their premium line.

I just installed a Selkirk chimney in my shop this fall, the seams are now welded. Installed the same chimney line in a previous residence about 6-7 years ago the seams were NOT welded at that time. I siliconed the seams on the exposed chimney sections. (I think begreen suggested this fix) never had an issue.

I just installed a Selkirk chimney in my shop this fall, the seams are now welded. Installed the same chimney line in a previous residence about 6-7 years ago the seams were NOT welded at that time. I siliconed the seams on the exposed chimney sections. (I think begreen suggested this fix) never had an issue.
I think there are different Selkirk systems, all the way from budget to high end

I have had a Selkirk Metalbestos chimney for at least 10 years. I've had no issues with it. I partially disassemble it every year when I clean it., otherwise the chimney is taller than I am. The bands make this easy.

He also sells the ICC product, which may mean nothing, but at least raises some small warning bells for me.
This for a me is a red flag in trusting the advice from that installer.
I installed myself Selkirk SuperVent and used for a while now without any problem. The point which I would like to make here, is to check the requirement for your woodstove. In my case the woodstove spec calls that the chimney used must be compliant with ULC-S629, so double check if the ICC, Selkirk or any other brand and model which you will choose comply with that, otherwise the WETT inspector will not approve the install.

This for a me is a red flag in trusting the advice from that installer.
I installed myself Selkirk SuperVent and used for a while now without any problem. The point which I would like to make here, is to check the requirement for your woodstove. In my case the woodstove spec calls that the chimney used must be compliant with ULC-S629, so double check if the ICC, Selkirk or any other brand and model which you will choose comply with that, otherwise the WETT inspector will not approve the install.
We live in the same county!

I'm installing a ~1991 Pacific Energy Super 27. As far as I can tell from the stove and the manual, the Selkirk CF Sentinel chimney will be compatible (it is also tested to ULC-S629).

For what it’s worth, we installed the Sentinel CF from home hardware 10 years ago and it has held up fine so far, with no obvious corrosion inside or out. We are burning probably 70% of the time in Alberta winters, so that’s a good amount of hours. The exterior is still a mirror finish too. The website says that the seams are welded, which sounds right (haven’t been up there to look in a few months, but I’m 99% sure I wouldn’t have bought it if it was just a crimped exterior). The locking bands are a little janky though, but they do the job. I might be inclined to go with something with a better fastening design if I was going to have a pipe sticking way up above the roofline - not sure I’d trust a 10’ length of them flapping around in the breeze, even with a roof brace.

These chimney products are all tested & certified to minimum standards.

Selkirk Sentinel CF is a DIY chimney product with a long successful history in Canada. In fact, Selkirk invented factory-built chimney for use with wood stoves.
They have been around since the 1930’s.

There are a wide variety of chimney products out there that can all do the job. Some have other features & benefits that might be of interest but could also cost more.

Depends on your own personal need, your budget, and your expectations.

Thanks to all for the responses. I did end up going with the Selkirk CF Sentinel chimney, since other options all appeared to be at least double the cost and that wasn't in our budget for this installation.

Selkirk is fine cf seems to have a welded seam which will hold up better in the case of a fire. And the head design looks like it should allow for differing expansion well also. 304 inner is good for wood and 430 outer is fairly standard.

I have never worked with cf but it looks like fairly good pipe. I have not been impressed by some of their other lines but I know they have quite a few.

And yes all prefab chimney systems are tested to minimum standards and will do the job. But they are not all created equal. Some use 430 inner walls which won't hold up as well. Some use crimped seams inside and out which isn't as durable. Some use pretty solid head designs that don't allow the inner and outer to move separately very well. And generally the cheaper lines don't offer as many options for mounting accessories flashing etc.

My new favorite is Jeremiah's.

But again from what I see this looks pretty good