SEPA Equilibrium MC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
I've been using this Covid shutdown to do some DIY, I replaced wood trim around my dormer windows that was rotting at the bottom where it was close to the shingles. This was 3/4" untreated pine, it was well weathered when I moved in 18 years ago, it's more than likely it has been there since 1977 when my home was built. Anyway, I took my moisture meter and sure enough the bottom rotted wood was 40%, but going just 8 inches up, the rest of the board was 12%MC. Other boards that were sheltered by the eaves were also at 12%, and it didn't matter whether I measured boards that had been north or south facing, all were at 12% once I was away from the punk.
I'm pleased to know that my Tulip Poplar from 18 months ago is also at 12%, being at home this shoulder season, I'll be burning far more often than previous years.

TE