Sharing my installation costs and what was involved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hi all,

Here's my install and insert post: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/61348/

I had a ballpark estimate but they wouldn't tell me the final bill until afterwards. Though making me nervous, i thought that was fair.

2 guys spent 2.5 hours total setting up and installing the unit - that included getting it out of the truck, onto a dolly, insulating the liner and laying it out, etc.

They used a 15' run of 316ti liner + what looked like 1" thick foil-faced insulation around the liner.

They installed a chimney top SS block-off plate + an "Animal proof" chimney cap.

I estimate parts via chimneylinerdepot.com would run me around $550. They charged me a total of $1100 for installation. I thought this was the "top" of what I considered fair, as the ballpark was between $1000-1300 not including the liner insulation.

One note though: they didn't install a block-off plate at the bottom. I'm going to shove soft batts of ceramic insulation up there to provide both a barrier for hot air to rise but also to actually insulate around the stove.

The service was prompt, corteous, pleasant, and very clean. They made me comfortable having 2 strangers in my house, which is worth something to me.

Hope this helps!

Joe

Seems very fair to me, especially with travel time

Status
Not open for further replies.