Should I buy a used Vigilant, 1990 serial # 087381

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mchalice

Jul 21, 2017
Keene, NH
Looks pretty. I'm used to a pellet stove. I need to find out how efficient it is as I live in a low-lying , small city. Any ideas. Picture looks pretty. Owner says it's maybe from 1990. They want $800

If it's a Vigilant it is more likely from 1980. This was a good stove in it's time but I would pass on it if the goal is to burn very cleanly. There are better alternatives with modern stoves.

Bull cookies. Vigilant is a great workhorse heater. The thing is though, they didn't make them in 1990! Well, maybe the coal version. Post pic.s, esp. of the inside and I can tell you exactly what it's worth. It isn't that hard to make them look good.

Here's the image. Please advise. I live in a low community that needs only super efficient wood-burning stoves.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Vigilant USed Stove.jpg
    Vigilant USed Stove.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 111
It was the comment about the low lying city that made me suggest getting a newer, much cleaner burning stove. The original VC were workhorses, but modern stoves have much lower emissions. Even with a high efficiency EPA stove you may want to forgo burning on strong temperature inversion days if the valley is filling with smoke. A pellet stove is an alternative. For a woodstove, take a drive over to the Woodstock stove factory in West Lebanon. Their stoves are super clean burning.
http://www.woodstove.com/

Last edited: