Should I get a Blazeking King or Princess?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember to check cat therm reading after fans have been turned off for 15 minutes. Air movement causes false reading.

First of all, thanks to all of you for helping answer my questions. It helped in my decision-making. If it were not for the horrible experience I had with the Blaze King dealer, I would be able to say everything has been great. I have enjoyed this first winter of burning with wood.

I have another question for whoever can help.

This winter I have been burning a mixture of Eco Bricks and wood that had all summer to season. A lot of it was felled 5 years ago but still wet (inside) when I cut, split and stacked it at the beginning of the summer. I found that using only Eco Bricks caused the stove to get quite hot, and I wasn't super comfortable with it. I called Blaze King and the guy said that tests have shown that burning a mix of Eco Bricks and semi-seasoned wood (1 year seasoned) actually burned quite clean. I have had very little creosote, that's for sure. And the catalytic combuster has not plugged up. I have found that I can't turn the stove down very low with just Eco Bricks. I think I read elsewhere that for others that is the case as well. I'm assuming it's because Eco Bricks demand more oxygen so if you turn the thermostat too low it doesn't get the oxygen it needs. When I burn my mix of wood and Eco Bricks I still can't turn the stove down that low. I'm assuming it's because the wood is not seasoned enough. My moisture meter showed the wood seemed to average around 24% moisture. I know this is too high.

So my question is basically that I'm asking for reassurance. Does this sound right to you all? When my wood has a chance to season longer (I have to play catch-up) can I expect to be able to turn the stove down and therefore get better burn times? Right now I seem to max out at about 18 hours with a King model.

Okay, I guess I also have a 2nd question. My catalytic combuster is of course a honey-comb rectangle with the honeycomb square holes in a grid with horizontal and vertical lines. On the right side of the combuster - the side where the door opens (the door is tightly sealed so that is not the issue) - the horizontal lines are slightly warped. It is the bottom 6 or so rows - only in the far right 1/3 of the combuster - that have warped upwards slightly. Is this normal? I have been careful not to overheat the stove (and it seems to have happened recently after I became even more careful) but there is no way to keep flames away from the combuster when the stove is on high.

So 2 questions: assurance about turning the stove down lower when I get better seasoned wood and assurance that it is okay that the honeycomb combuster is slightly warped on the bottom 1/3 of the far right 1/3 section. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.