Should I upgrade to Lopi 1750

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yarmoth6

Dec 19, 2017
Asheville
hi! I ended up getting the 1250i Lopi. We heat it up in our 1100 sq foot home. We can only get it up to 71 degrees though in the house while the rooms still not super hot. I was hoping for 80!
Is this because we are not packing enough wood in? I mean I fit up to 3-4 logs at a time and seems hot. With a fan too
So if we upgrade to the 1750i will I get what I’m looking for? Or a super hot living room as good as it gets even with the 1750i upgrade?
Thanks!

How is your current insert installed (is thete a block off plate and insulation behing the insert) and what is the moisture content and species of wood being used.

Also what is your burning procedure and is the firebox full with those 3 or 4 logs?

Going up in size would increase the output a bit and provide a longer burn time between reloads, but that may not help if the heat loss is great in the house. Before replacing the insert, check other factors that bholler mentioned to get more heat out of the insert.

Also what is your burning procedure and is the firebox full with those 3 or 4 logs?

There is no insulation on the inside of the fire place part but the typical black metal shield
I try to load wood north/south so with a such a small box I have to cut logs down to 11”...can usually fit 3-5 after a while
Not sure on wood. I believe oak and redwood from local guys.

Photo.

Attachments

• 44BC828B-DFDB-45BA-8F11-0A88F87FB013.jpeg
    44BC828B-DFDB-45BA-8F11-0A88F87FB013.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: BobMcG
If this is purchased wood it may not be fully seasoned, especially if some of the wood is oak. Poorly seasoned wood is going to put out a lot less heat than fully seasoned wood. Do you have a friend that dries their oak for a couple years? That's how long oak or hickory will take to dry out. You might try some construction cutoffs (2x4s or 2x6) and mix them in with the cord wood to see if that gets a hotter fire going. I'd also get a stove top thermometer so that you have some reference for the stove temperature. And try to keep the ash lip cleaner. Otherwise the ash may get sucked into the blower.

Load 'er up with dry wood.
There's enough room on top for a magnetic thermometer. My 1250 has no problem running at 600° on a full load.
20171223_020946.jpg 20180204_002605.jpg 20180204_002944.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your house at 71° after burning all day? It takes a long time to get the house warmed up if it's cooled off. How cold is it outside?

My Answer (1250) will heat my house 1250 square foot home in Central NY until it is down to about 20 degrees outside. You have to pack it full, and the wood has to be dry. I'm assuming that you have the blower, and that helps a lot as well. I have mine installed in a fireplace alcove, so it is a similar install to your insert.

My Answer (1250) will heat my house 1250 square foot home in Central NY until it is down to about 20 degrees outside. You have to pack it full, and the wood has to be dry. I'm assuming that you have the blower, and that helps a lot as well. I have mine installed in a fireplace alcove, so it is a similar install to your insert.
Is that an insert?

No, but it runs like an insert. It is in a fireplace alcove with the glass flush with the fireplace masonry front. There is about 6" around the top and sides of the stove. I run a blower to get the heat out. The Answer (1250) stove and insert models are essentially the same stove - they are both double-jacketed construction. With a blower, I would say they operate with the same heat output.