Show Us Your Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My piles are like yours somewhat. I have mine on pallets, but just a tarp for now. I never have problems besides brushing the snow off of it when its 5 degress...lol.....it works tho.

Wish I had seen this before I built my wood shed...includes room for stacking and an inside protected area for splitting/whittling/etc....

Amazon link

amazon tiny house.jpg

Wow! Id be afraid to cut wood in there..........might let my friends crash there for a night, lol.....thats NICE!

Reactions: lml999
Well, I was just hauling wood up to the house over lunch today, so I grabbed a fresh pic of the current setup.

IMG_1359.JPG

There's one more shed up by my barn, in high ground I can access in a monsoon, if needed. These ones reside in lowlands, not always great accessibility when it's warm and wet in March or April. Primary log storage (~20 cords) is just off-screen.

The advantage of doing that is you can almost throw your splits against the back wall and know they are going to stack. It really speeds up filling the shed versus carefully aligning one split on top of another. The second stack butts up against the first. I find that the gaps between my splits are greater which allows for more airflow then when I was tried to stack on only pallets as I had to make sure the stack was stable. Back wall and sides make a big difference.
I got around to modifying my woodshed finally. Instead of dismantling pallets and filling in between the cross braces, I actually replaced the cross braces with pallets running horizontally on the back wall. Used one full and one cut in half long ways and ended up with just a small space along the top. This works really well and definitely speeds up stacking, and the outside of that back wall of pallets will be perfect for attaching lattice to.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
20231217_144739.jpg
20231217_144757.jpg
20231217_144831.jpg

I got around to modifying my woodshed finally. Instead of dismantling pallets and filling in between the cross braces, I actually replaced the cross braces with pallets running horizontally on the back wall. Used one full and one cut in half long ways and ended up with just a small space along the top. This works really well and definitely speeds up stacking, and the outside of that back wall of pallets will be perfect for attaching lattice to.

Thanks again for the suggestion!
View attachment 320909
View attachment 320910
View attachment 320911
Glad to be of help.

Built this in 2019
with mostly junk
the roof and gutter were newly purchased
framing is leftover CLS (1.5"x3")
ext cladding is chestnut
dryer wood under plastic on palettes
I'll get some better pics

LTB_AshesConsWide_WoodStore_IMG_2118.JPG

cutting out plastic this year cuz I originally made it too sealed;
so far, tho, it's still not enough air movement..all this purchased wood is molding fast...like roquefort! 😨
LTB_WoodStore_CutOutPlastic_IMG_1932.JPG

LTB_WoodStore_PerfedPanels_IMG_1934.JPG

LTB_WoodStore_LoadingStarted_IMG_1936.JPG

LTB_WoodStore_Loaded_5Stair_IMG_1939.JPG

@creitzell I would raise the platform higher and putdown a sheet of plastic under, also be sure the ground slopes away for drainage.

Reactions: ctreitzell
That is so French. I love it. Looks like the roof could use some help.

Did you say u r in Normandy?

@creitzell I would raise the platform higher and putdown a sheet of plastic under, also be sure the ground slopes away for drainage.
Thanks! My plan is to abandon this location

platform? I suppose that is my big issue, thanks!
what I'm doing here is chestnut sticks on the ground...and the splits bridge the 2 "battens"
that is surface rainwater drainage along the exterior wall...
another mistake

I need to build a dryer in one of my fields...but my windy-est field is very difficult to access with a vehicle
so I have yet to find a good location close to where a big truck can deliver...

Last edited:
Reactions: bigealta
Here is a recent pic of my shed, been working nicely since built a couple years ago. I dry outside the shed in piles, then move into the shed. Shed is divided into two and holds ~10-11 cords (10’x20’). Whole shed would last me 4-5 years. All the wood from our 6.5 acres.

IMG_2204.jpeg

Just finished it, faces due South, hoping to get all that wood split and in it so I don't have tarps draped everywhere!

View attachment 322055

No floor, I have a bunch of pallets that I'll be using this year, if I feel it works better with a floor I can build that later.
I see you don’t have traditional footings. I was considering building a shed like that due to my rocky terrain. I was concerned that without any serious weight that a strong wind may catch the roof and blow it over.
Keep us posted on how it works without a floor to weigh it down.

I see you don’t have traditional footings. I was considering building a shed like that due to my rocky terrain. I was concerned that without any serious weight that a strong wind may catch the roof and blow it over.
Keep us posted on how it works without a floor to weigh it down.
Will do! Especially if something "interesting" occurs... which would be tragic for me, but entertaining for others...
The idea is that I wasn't sure if my wife was going to like the location, and right now it can be relocated if needed with the cement footings being left behind.
There are a pair of 2x4s running between the middle posts, I plan on having logs resting on them, so that would help weigh the shed down in a heavy wind.

Just finished it, faces due South, hoping to get all that wood split and in it so I don't have tarps draped everywhere!

View attachment 322055

No floor, I have a bunch of pallets that I'll be using this year, if I feel it works better with a floor I can build that later.
Looks great! If either of us think of it I'm really curious how those footings perform over the next few winters. I thought about going the same route but my back yard is fairly wet and gets frost heaves. I am going to need to dig footing holes when I build mine.

Edit - just saw you just discussed this as I was typing. Building science!

View attachment 322055

One of my bigger wood sheds doesn't have a floor. Its 8dx18wx7h. Built it out of pallet racking. Got the feet sitting on 16x16 cement pavers. I put gravel down and then pallets on that. Pallets showing no signs of rot. Its a 2 year shed so one side is always full and helping hold it down.

Reactions: bigealta
Wood shed is 10 X 14 X 6' high. It was an old hen house 75-100 years ago, at least that is what the previous owner told me. . Was here when I bought the property 35 years ago. Building is a little "warped" from age as the roof line shows. Has 2 doors on the other side and screened windows. Doors keep small animals out. First overhang is for additional wood storage and second overhang is where the log splitter lives. I can hook the splitter up to the tractor and drive it straight through. Additional wood stacks with tarps on top gives me 10-11 cords of split wood.
Home for log splitter.jpg

Anything that keeps wood off the ground and dry is a great shed!

what better use of scrap lumber? all that board stretching is classic!

what harm can befall if any scab fails? it's just wood :-D